D-Link Gigabit switch

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

D-Link Gigabit switch

Post by Tigr » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:24 am

I do not know if you are only interested in PC components but I was surely annoyed to get one of the D-Link Gigabit switches.

All right, the story. All this happened about half a year ago. I was looking for a small desktop switch to replace our old 10Mbit hub at the office. Naturally, knowing I would have to live with it for the next 5 years at least, I decided to go to Gigabit at once. D-Link had a couple of Gigabit switches that looked ok and were the cheapest around. Right, so I ordered a D-Link from one of the local mail-order companies. I am not sure about the model anymore but it was probably DGS-1008D or something like it. Anyway, looking at the pictures of the switch you would never guess that it packs a 40mm fan inside! When I switched it on, I was greeted with the jet-take-off sound that I heard last time only from the rack-mountable Cisco switches. It is unbelievable, trust me. I was really surprised this small thing can make that huge noise.

Anyway, so I asked the shop to replace the switch with some other model and they gave me a 3Com instead. That one is comlpetely passive, does not make any noise and sits on my desk happily blinking LEDs. And the shop representative said they get lots of returns on the D-Link desktop switches because of the noise, so I was not the only one annoyed by it.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:39 am

It only takes one deaf engineer to mess up a product. Not to bash on the hearing impaired, of course (any deaf people out there trying to silence their PC's? :lol:), but really, if you can't hear, you need to get a second opinion on that fan there.

Noisy computer parts are so out of style. 8)

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 pm

In the house here we've two switches in the attic - a D-Link 16-port 10/100 and a 8-port Netgear. Both are totally passive. The old Dynamode we had before had a 30mm fan in it, and it was impossbily noisy too.

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:02 am

I bought a 2nd hand 8 port d-link switch off ebay which also had a very noisy fan in it so I took it apart and adapted the power header to accept a molex and its going to be mounted inside my linux router/firewall where the case air flow will take care of it's cooling
I couldn't beleive that this tinylittle switch was louder than any of the pc's in my home though, the air coming out wasn't even warm so I fail to see the need for it

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:58 pm

Our DLink ADSL Router (not gigabit) makes a horrible high pitched whining noise. I got the unit replaced with another one (same model), but the new one behaves in exactly the same manner. The whining increases in volume after a short while, presumably after it has warmed up.

It seems DLink products are intent on making noise.