where to buy via processor systems

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

counterpt

where to buy via processor systems

Post by counterpt » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:26 am

Hello, I did a little search but I can't find anything.

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive prebuilt computer (I hope the is the right forum).

While I'm competent at building computers, i just want a simple prebuilt one. I just want a little (not so important), quiet, energy-efficient (will be on constatnly), no-frills (just lan, vga, and audio (simple jack), and usb outs) to be a little file-sharing, network-printer-server, living-room internet-radio (to hook up to audo system) computer.

I thought a via c3 system would be ideal. I can't seem to find vendors selling complete computers with via chips.

I swear I did a bunch of searches so please don't get aggrivated and tell me so serch :) but if you know of a vendor please let me know.

Thanks,

Vik

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:31 am

they really are expensive, I would wait for the New Via C7 before putting any money on the old C3.

www.logicsupply.com

counterpt

Thanks

Post by counterpt » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:38 am

Thank you for the link.

I couldn't find these on my own for some reason!?

Vik

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:06 pm

some other good mini-itx sites:

www.mini-itx.com
www.mini-box.com
www.bwi.com
www.epiacenter.com

the last one is more of a review site with a good forum.

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:59 pm

Ditto on waiting for the C7, although we have yet to hear of what it takes to cool that tiny-die-size chip.

Another place you might try is eBay, where from time to time one can find seller-assembled C3 systems offered.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Or you might consider an embedded platform other than Via. I recently picked up a Wyse 9150SE on eBay for only $200. Geode GX 300MHz, 4x USB2.0, Windows XPe, compact, and low-power (according to the technical documents typical power consumption is 7w). I plan to use it as a backup PC. You can find lower-end models that are Windows CE and Linux based as well. :)

Currently there are also quite a few Geode GX reference design kits for sale on eBay for around $200.

Geode GX RDK

counterpt

Thank you

Post by counterpt » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:22 pm

Thank you for the links and the other suggestions, I was too busy to thank you sooner...
I've been out of computers for about a year or so and I missed so much info! I didn’t even know about the geode. Thanks again.

Vik

SockMan!

Post by SockMan! » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:03 pm

The closest thing I can find (so far) is the Asus Terminator C3. It's a barebone, so you'll have to provide your own HD and RAM. I don't have any experience with it though so I can't comment on performance, reliability, or quietness. Cheap though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856110030

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Vik,
If you haven't purchased your system yet (this thread is 4 months old), then the Core Solo Mini is widely available and sounds like it will fit your needs nicely now that Apple has released official (albeit still Beta) install path/drivers for Windows XP.