How much your monthly salary/earning?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

less than $100
5%
$100-300
4%
$300-1000
23%
$1000-2000
16%
$2000-3000
11%
$3000-5000
25%
more than $5000
16%

Total votes: 56

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:43 pm

ok guys this could be a disturbing question/not; :)
how much your monthly salary/earning(in USD)?
you can also add your job type and your location

Well, /me as a fresh graduate from college,
on trainee in Welding Engineering/QC in Engineering Procurement Construction service got about $300 a month, but they add meal,transport&housing,etc here.

I hope I'll have a cheaper hobby like jogging than PC hardware&silencing...now :roll:

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:59 pm

I'm a engineering co-op student at one of better Canadian universities; working for a software company doing mostly QA. Transportation is not necessary, housing is just over $400/month, food... I don't eat much :wink:

Four-month co-op term, most of the money is going to next term's tuition...
Last edited by qviri on Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthan

Post by darthan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:12 pm

Well, as a college student I am making more than negative $3000 (US). Well, it should pay off eventually...

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:31 pm

I review computer hardware for this tech web site.... :lol:
Oh, and I provide A/V tech support to needy professors at the University of British Columbia.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:37 am

Devonavar wrote:I review computer hardware for this tech web site.... :lol: .
... I was wondering who was the person that has the currently only "over 5000$" entry....

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:15 am

Social welfare gaining around 690-750USD/month. Waiting for early retirement, then I'll gain 940USD per month

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:28 am

Currency calculator for those that doesn't live in USA. Thoguth it might be usefull :-)

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

EDIT: Spell-error
Last edited by McBanjo on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:53 am

Don't know about other european countries, but many finnish people find it very uncomfortable to talk about their salaries. I've always understood that is a bit different in north America?

I did vote in the poll, but don't feel comfortable specifying which one it was.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:08 am

well, i deal drugs (legally) part time after school, so I'm earing 1XX euros a month, depending on how the profits are. :)

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:51 am

US Air Force, SrA. E-4 Paygrade

$3100/month before taxes
$2300/month after taxes

that includes full medical/optical/dental/400k life insurance/40k GI Bill for collage/and a retirement package

not bad imo, although i could probably get triple that in the computer networking field outside the military. but i got a cushy job, i just sit on my ass all day most of the time, so i dont complain.

revloc8

Post by revloc8 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:14 am

I am currently teaching English in Korea and lovin it. I am making a little over 3k a month, but that should begin to increase as I get more students. Hopefully I will be in the 5k+ category by summer...

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:46 am

Aleksi wrote:Don't know about other european countries, but many finnish people find it very uncomfortable to talk about their salaries.
The only Brits who happily quote their salaries are, in my experience, lying.
That was me on $10k/month :lol: And you forgot to ask about unearned income!

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Aleksi wrote:Don't know about other european countries, but many finnish people find it very uncomfortable to talk about their salaries. I've always understood that is a bit different in north America?

I did vote in the poll, but don't feel comfortable specifying which one it was.
Probably some sort of cultural/social difference I guess? One of the chief principles that you learn in the USA is that competition is good and that you should always be trying to maximize your reward for any given work output. Probably one of the most useful websites for the USA to see if you're fairly compensated is http://www.salary.com.

Most everyone knows what their specific field and position is supposed to pay, but anyone who's looking to switch industries or see if some totally different line of work is worth it can go to that website and check things out. It's also (supposed to be) specific to each metro area's average salary data, so you could see if some given amount is fair for a job in a different part of the country even.

Most folks love information. The more information they can get, the more they feel like an informed consumer, or in the case of salaries, an informed producer!

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:10 pm

thanx for the info AZBrandon,

I knew that my question/poll usually a "none of your bussines" kind,well just curious :D

also interested the taxes are really high in some country,I think most EU got higher taxes than in the US

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:42 pm

Yeah, well it's not like every North American is running around bragging about what they're being paid, but I know a ton of folks who just don't care about keeping that sort of thing private. Maybe it's the blogging culture of the internet age? Plenty of people are open to the idea of living their life in full public view, I think.

As for taxes, I guess it would take a lot of work to calculate that stuff out. Your base taxes in the USA are pretty low, but depending on what you do, there's still so many other layers of taxation. You have federal, state, and sometimes local income taxes, vehicle taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, and about a million specialty taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if half the money I earn goes to taxes when you add up all the different taxes and not just the two biggest income taxes.

Obviously folks in the EU can still afford housing, cars, computers, vacations, and so on, so I'm sure there can't be some huge disparity in real buying power when the dust is settled.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:59 pm

In Australia it's usually regarded as impolite to discuss salary with anyone but quite close friends. There are exceptions, though.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:57 am

AZBrandon wrote:... so I'm sure there can't be some huge disparity in real buying power when the dust is settled.
Yup - that is the illusion that is hard to resolve. Often when travelling stuff looks "wow cheap" or "wow expensive". Until you get the whole lot in context it is meaningless: when I first travelled to Yugoslavia (i.e. the days before it split up)
1) All salaries were published on the notice board (as it was a co-operative)
2) Engineers were on about $150/month at a time when I was over $2000/month!

Then again their rental, heating, education, heathcare were free. Tobacco was about $2/Kg, Cherry Brandy about 50c/litre etc. On the Sarajevo (Winter Olympic) ski slopes their chalet rental was about $10/week, ski passes about $5/week. If I had to pay for those at non-co-operative member rates they would have been the same as Austria or France.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:29 am

Hi all, I have a decent enough job providing IT support within a company. I cover many small sites, about 2.5 hours drive across to which end I have a company car where they pay for everything, even fuel for "reasonable" personal mileage! I pretty happy with it, although the taxman likes me too, I get extra tax because of the car ~£100/month. Still a very sweet deal for a new (Sept 05) car. With the extra car tax, student loan repayment, etc about 1/3 of my income goes in taxes!
Seb

Box

Post by Box » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:29 am

I'm part-time lifeguard at the swimming pool over here.
Salary is around 700€ (800$ ?).
I've got a university degree in Physical Education (or Movement Sciences as they call it now) and I'm doing some more studies as a dietician. That job is about the most I can handle doing the combination of studies, job and triathlon.

Sparkytfl

Post by Sparkytfl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:16 pm

I work part time for an inventory company while going to college. Hours vary horrible month to month, but I average about $6-7000 a year, 500 a month. Last month I only got like 200, this month I expect over 1000.

RachelG
Patron of SPCR

Post by RachelG » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:04 pm

You need to say whether we should count income before or after tax. Does it also include overtime? I get a third of my pay from overtime payments! Depending on whether you count the overtime and/or the tax I could be in any of the top 3 categories - so I haven't voted. Can't complain about the salary though...

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:14 pm

PositiveSpin wrote:In Australia it's usually regarded as impolite to discuss salary with anyone but quite close friends. There are exceptions, though.
Same in the USA. Discussing salaries at work is especially forbidden at most companies, since that is considered to be confidential information.

Of course, I am talking about professional level jobs, not people who are college and work part time or others making an hourly wage.

Richard Berg

Post by Richard Berg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Same in the USA. Discussing salaries at work is especially forbidden at most companies, since that is considered to be confidential information.
More or less. Then again, some people are probably more comfortable discussing it with strangers on the internet than close friends, 'cuz who cares what some random Aussies know? :p

If you think about it, the fact that this kind of tight-lipped bullshit is backed by many corporate policies proves that it's not good for us to be so secretive. It's no harm to me whether I tell everyone or noone that I make $x,xxx per fortnight, but if my peers are kept in the dark due to archaic and/or manipulative social mores, it changes the marketplace. Like everything in economics, it's a battle of information -- obviously the company knows what it's paying each employee, so maintaining the imbalance of information is to their advantage, no doubt moving the equilibrium price of labor in their favor.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:23 am

Yeah I have to admit this is a seemingly strang topic to bring up if you live in the USA, unless of course, you are in a forum (no, not internet forum) that is meant to discuss this explicitly.

Should it be this way? Probably not, but I'm presuming that companies believe it prevents problems from occurring.

Nucor Steel used to have an open-book policy, where everybody could see everybody else's earnings. This changed some time ago though.

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Yeah the companies taught us well at the philosophy(for me at least):

We live to work,
We work to live

:D

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:15 pm

Richard Berg wrote:If you think about it, the fact that this kind of tight-lipped bullshit is backed by many corporate policies proves that it's not good for us to be so secretive. It's no harm to me whether I tell everyone or noone that I make $x,xxx per fortnight, but if my peers are kept in the dark due to archaic and/or manipulative social mores, it changes the marketplace. Like everything in economics, it's a battle of information -- obviously the company knows what it's paying each employee, so maintaining the imbalance of information is to their advantage, no doubt moving the equilibrium price of labor in their favor.
You may think there is no harm for co-workers to know what everyone else is paid, but experience proves differently. It is virtually impossible for everyone in a company to be paid what they are actually worth. It is equally impossible for everyone to agree what everyone else is worth. So when this information is public knowledge then there is a natural human tendency to violate the 10th commandment and covet thy neighbors house.