CPU never idles = very warm case

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mr. Risberg

CPU never idles = very warm case

Post by Mr. Risberg » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:53 am

Lets face it, I got the hottest computer on the earth. :-(

My CPU actually does idle when not used, but my problem is that it never goes cold when idling. It stays at 60 degrees celsius all the time - 24h!

As I try to make my computer somewhat quieter I use low RPM fans (from Papst) and this makes my case very warm (about 40 degrees celsius) after lets say 8 hours of use.

Can someone tell me how to make my CPU cold when idling?

None of my friends have had this type of problem and I have actually build all of their computers(!).

Please help me!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:10 am

Mr. Riberg, tell us the system details including whatever you are running as OS and in the background at idle.

Mr. Risberg

Post by Mr. Risberg » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:23 am

MikeC wrote:Mr. Riberg, tell us the system details including whatever you are running as OS and in the background at idle.
I am using:
AMD Athlon 1333 MHz (not OCed)
Cooling: Arctic Silver 2 + Zalman CNPS5000-Plus running at full speed.
Motherboard: MSI K7T266 Pro2 RU
DDR memory at 266MHz, CAS2 (autoset by BIOS)
Running Windows 98SE (same problems with heat using W2K and XP though!)

My case is open with an enormous fan blowing air into it, the CPU should be idling (fresh install Windows - no apps but "MSI PCAlert 4" running) and my CPU temp is: 55C. :-(

Thanks for any help given ...

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:50 am

what kinda case? plus maybe you used too much thermal paste? or maybe the heatsink isnt making good connection to the cpu?
Also some cases run cooler with the side on if they have good airflow and a couple of case fans.

quokked

Post by quokked » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:43 pm

it's a T'bird core there, they run HOT are u using a idleing program like CPUcool or CPU idle ?
55c is pretty standard temps for a T'Bird though sorry :)
Try looking at what your CPU time is being divided off too, some spyware programs MUNCH through your CPU time like crazy.... I've had this experience with Kazaa (even the lite version) it just seems to want more CPU time and more CPU time means that the computer runs a lot hotter

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:40 pm

several conjectures:

1) Case airflow is not reaching the CPU area
2) As GamingGod mentioned, maybe the HS is not mated properly to the CPU -- although with the bolt on style mounting of the CNPS5000, this seems unlikely. If you're not certain about whether the thermal goop was applied correctly, check here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alum ... ctions.htm
3) The standard config for this cooler is with the fan blowing up, but some reviews have noted reversing the fan so it blows down on the HS improves performance by was much as 5-7 deg C.
4) when you say your case is open, you mean the side panel is off? And you get 55C? If so, that's not right, something is very wrong. There's no way it should be that high, especially as you're only reading the in-socket thermistor on the mobo. the 55C reading is at least 10C below the core temp; your core is ~64C of even higher. With an XP1600+ (63W max) and 23C ambient (out of case) the worst HS I've tried gives me 49C idle and 57C after 20 mins of Prime 95 (100% CPU use) -- that's reading the on--die diode. The in-socket readings are only 41C and 50C.
5) Vcore set too high in BIOS?
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Queue

Stating the obvious?

Post by Queue » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:51 pm

What about AMBIENT temp? What temp is your room?

Queue

quokked

Post by quokked » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:28 pm

yeah that is a good question Queue :) down here in Australia it reaches 40°c down here in summer, I upgraded my cooling setup from a Microfinned Al setup to a AX-7 cause summer's near, u guy's in cooler areas don't know how lucky u are in terms of quiet case cooling :wink:

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:26 am

Also how hot does the HS actually feel? Does the base feel like its at 55*C? Maybe the temp is being reported incorrectly? Im sure theres something wrong if your case is at 40*C with the side off and a big fan blowing in!

quokked

Post by quokked » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:30 am

oooh yeah if your motherboard supports an external thermistor connection trying plugging that into the base or even better get one of those cheapie inside outsider thermoters with the probe on it and take out the thermistor and jam it into an area in the lower part of your heatsink and see the temp readings you're getting on it .... :)