Scythe SCNJ-1000 Ninja heatsink

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:53 pm

It would depend on the fan and the speed you run it at. In this respect it is no different from any other fan-cooled heatsink. In most cases, I think the noise of the fan itself would be worse than the resonance, but it could be a problem at very low speeds. Even so, it shouldn't be too hard to soft-mount a fan on the Ninja, there's lots of fins to tie things to...

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:58 pm

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking about using an Antec TriCool on low for temporary use, and then possibly replacing that one with a Nexus in the near future.

One thing I have noticed from my TriCools, or at least one of them, is that they started to click very badly. I thought at first the switch got caught in the blades, but it wasn't that. I turned the speed up to high then back down low, and it goes away. It's really weird.

freakazoid

Configuration with the ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard

Post by freakazoid » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Has any ASUS A8R-MVP mobo users encountered any clearance problems with mounting a Nexus 120 mm Real Silent case fan on the Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000? From what I gather, the Nexus fan is 25mm thick and 120x120mm.

In the review on page 5 -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/article251-page5.html -- it appears there may be limited lateral clearance for mounting the Nexus fan IN FRONT of the Ninja to blow air into the Antec P180 rear fan with the DIMMs in the way. Or is lateral clearance a moot point as the Nexus fan sits OVER the DIMMs as pictured on Scythe's Web site -- http://www.scythe-usa.com/cooler/cpu_co ... y-info.htm

OR

Is the only option to mount the Nexus fan BELOW the Ninja to blow air into the Antec P180 top fan? Are there clearance issues with the black Radeon Xpress heat sink?

I will be running 2GB of Corsair memory (TWINX2048-3200C2PT) and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and was advised that the CPU is too hot to use the Ninja passively.

Thanks!

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:13 pm

[quote="ddrueding1"]Now does anyone have suggestions on how to isolate a fan on this sucker? Dampen any vibrations? Perhaps get it about 0.5cm away from the fins?[/quote]

My grocery store carries packages of 3M double-sided tape, about 1/16" thick. Place the tape on the back of the motor hub and on the crossbar hub supports for as far as they will come in contact with the fins. _Then_ remove the second sticky side and carefully place the fan where you want it to stay. Then attach the fan as per your usual connection method (I use round shoe-laces), pulling the fan onto the fins half-tight. This will hold the fan in place _and_ provide some vibration isolation.

If you want more fan-fin separation use two layers of this tape.

Full disclosure: I figured out how to get such good cooling using the Ninja in passive mode today (using a simple half-partition which then forms a duct when the side cover is mounted) that I don't need a fan. :wink:

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:43 pm

thetoad30 wrote: One thing I have noticed from my TriCools, or at least one of them, is that they started to click very badly. I thought at first the switch got caught in the blades, but it wasn't that. I turned the speed up to high then back down low, and it goes away. It's really weird.
Yup, mine does that as well. Not convinced that they're the best fans to undervolt with...

zikje

Re: Configuration with the ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard

Post by zikje » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:32 am

freakazoid wrote:I will be running 2GB of Corsair memory (TWINX2048-3200C2PT) and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and was advised that the CPU is too hot to use the Ninja passively.Thanks!
I'm running the P180 with an AMD X2 3800 and ASUS A8N-SLI mobo. The Ninja is only cooled with the back case fan. It's mounted to the back of the case, not to the Ninja (Tricool). The other Tricool is at the front of my case blowing air over my HD. Both fans are set to low. This works passively (no overclocking).

I'm also thinking about making that solution better to use Nexus fans and mount one to the Ninja somehow, remove the back case fan, and make a fanduct from the Nexus on the Ninja to the back case fan opening. Maybe put some dampening material on the inside of the fanduct. Keeping the fan inside the case instead of on the back of the case might reduce noise.

hlinde

ninja on µATX mb ?

Post by hlinde » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:31 am

Could someone measure the distance the ninja goes beyond it's k8 retention module ?

I want to put the ninja on a µATX mb (MSI K8NGM2-FID ) and I would like to know if it will fit. Especially the first memory slot clearance could be critical. But because it's a small mb there could also be issues with psu, nb and case fan clearance.

Henk

Felger Carbon

Re: ninja on µATX mb ?

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:02 am

hlinde wrote:Could someone measure the distance the ninja goes beyond it's k8 retention module ?
You can measure the distance. The Ninja is 110mm by 110mm. It sits symmetrically on the CPU no matter wich way it's mounted. True, the thumb-levers protrude slightly past that limit, but they're pretty high up.

So get a ruler and measure the retainer. Then you can easily calculate how much the Ninja hangs over. You weren't trying to offload your donkey work on "somebody", were you? :D

hlinde

Post by hlinde » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks but i don't have the mb nor the ninja yet. I didn't know the rm/socket layout is symmetrical.

Is the RM a standard 478 rm ? Then I could look for it's spec's on the net.

Henk

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

try here... Scythe USA website

Post by Firetech » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:20 pm

THIS might help you :)

eey ooh (or whatever noise a donkey makes) :lol:

PS jp/eu Scythe sites won't connect for me!

colm

VRM overheats?

Post by colm » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:30 am

I saw warning on this site's home page (or close to it). Did this heatsink propose a problem with this? I am certain volts dropped on mobos that have this type of heat regulation. I would love the passive heatsink until i heard of the capacitor overheat possibility.
I am currently using duct work and case fan in antec quite nicely and literally priceless .

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Re: VRM overheats?

Post by Firetech » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:55 am

colm wrote:I saw warning on this site's home page (or close to it). Did this heatsink propose a problem with this?
Don't know yet colm as my Ninja is on back order :cry: but I intend to put a slow/quiet 120mm fan on which will be dropped low near to the MB and directing airflow at the capacitors/PWM. I'll have to move my memory sticks to the two slots furthest from the CPU to do it though.

winguy

Post by winguy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:47 am

Can the top 12 nuts be replaced or simply removed to reduce the height?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Coolant release

Post by Firetech » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:40 am

NO!!!!!! Don't do it :!:
AFAIK they're all that keep the coolant in the heatpipes so you'd be buying another one straight away.
I seem to remember a guy posting on a forum somewhere about high temps with his brand new HP cooler and after some questioning he revealed he'd hacksawed off the top of his pipes to make it fit in his case :roll:

doodddoo

Compatibility with the i855GMEm-LFS

Post by doodddoo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:50 am

I recently purchased an AOpen i855GMEm-LFS motherboard supporting Pentium M CPUs. Does anyone know or have any first hand experience whether if this heatsink will mount onto the Pentium M CPU properly? Given that there is no integrated heat-spreader on Pentium M CPUs, there are many after market heatsinks that don't make proper contact with the core. I really want to cool my CPU passively and this heatsink looks as if it might do the job.

Anyone know if this heatsink has the clearance to make proper contact? or can anyone recommend me a heatsink that will support this m/b?

Thanks in advance,

AOpen i855GMEm-LFS: Mines the Japanese Version supporting 533MHz Dothan CPUs.
http://aopen.jp/products/mb/i855gmemlfs.html

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Compatibility with the i855GMEm-LFS

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:14 am

doodddoo wrote:
Anyone know if this heatsink has the clearance to make proper contact? or can anyone recommend me a heatsink that will support this m/b?
Yes, it'll fit, but I wouldn't use it unless I was going to be using it with the mobo laying flat on it's back. I'd hate to subject that unprotected die to the torque of the Ninja with the board mounted upright.

I'd suggest using the Zalman 7000. You can read my review of the 855GMem and see how well the Zalman 7000 worked for me.

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:39 am

Devonavar wrote:A quick update:

It would appear that the Ninja will be replaced by the Ninja Plus sometime in the future.

According to Scythe's Japanese site, the current model, the SCNJ-1000 has been discontinued, and a new model has been put up in its place, the SCNJ-1000P.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that Scythe is now including a 120mm fan in the package, so this doesn't seem to be a major change. Hopefully, the fan will be as quiet as the 92 mm fans that have shipped with other Scythe heatsinks. If the sample fans that Scythe sent us are any indication, they should be fairly good fans.

As far as I can tell, none of Scythe's international web sites list the Ninja Plus for sale, so at this point it would appear that the new model is available in Japan only. I suspect it is only a matter of time before the revised product appears in the rest of the world though.
This might be old news, but the Ninja Plus is out in the UK.

The question now is, should I just get that and be done with, or invest in a Nexus, or the cheaper Yate Loon...

[And having read this thread on installing the fan, I am a bit concerned - maybe I won't rule out the Zalman 9500 after all]

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Buy a fan

Post by Firetech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 am

TooNice wrote:This might be old news, but the Ninja Plus is out in the UK.

The question now is, should I just get that and be done with, or invest in a Nexus, or the cheaper Yate Loon...

[And having read this thread on installing the fan, I am a bit concerned - maybe I won't rule out the Zalman 9500 after all]
Factor in for a new fan too! I'd consider the fan included with the NInja Plus package a 'freebie', it's not that quiet...
I tried to do noise tests last night but gave up (my meter doesn't go low enough). It's comparable with an antec Tri-cool to my ears and my Glacialtech is a fair bit quieter by comparision.

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks. I just read other report about the fan not being that quiet.

One question on the installation of the fan. Is there any reason why the fan can't be clipped on prior fixing the HS to the motherboard?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

maybe...

Post by Firetech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:15 pm

TooNice wrote:Thanks. I just read other report about the fan not being that quiet.

One question on the installation of the fan. Is there any reason why the fan can't be clipped on prior fixing the HS to the motherboard?
I haven't fitted the Ninja yet but looking at it, if you fit the fan on 2 of the sides it will block the mounting clips preventing you from reaching them and therefore clipping the Ninja onto the MB.

Trekari

Re: Coolant release

Post by Trekari » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Firetech wrote:NO!!!!!! Don't do it :!:
AFAIK they're all that keep the coolant in the heatpipes so you'd be buying another one straight away.
I seem to remember a guy posting on a forum somewhere about high temps with his brand new HP cooler and after some questioning he revealed he'd hacksawed off the top of his pipes to make it fit in his case :roll:
The bolts on the top are nothing more than cosmetic in nature. The pipes are already sealed off.

How do I know this? I began removing the bolts in an effort to fix my ninja after my cat broke it, then just resorted to bashing it against my table until it was straight again.

Worked like a charm! :D

Seriously though, you'll gain at most a few millimeters by taking the bolts off. While you won't damage the heatsink by doing so, it isn't worth it.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Re: Coolant release

Post by Firetech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Trekari wrote:How do I know this? I began removing the bolts in an effort to fix my ninja after my cat broke it, then just resorted to bashing it against my table until it was straight again.
Your cat must be a bit of a bruiser to have damaged the Ninja but bashing it against a table to set it straight is animal cruelty :lol:

MrDisco

Post by MrDisco » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:41 pm

2 questions for owners of the Ninja:

How does it attach to a 939 socket board? Do I just
-unclip existing HS
-unscrew the plastic retention frame from the mobo
-screw in the supplied retention frame (do i need to remove the mobo for this step?)
-clip in the Ninja

Is this correct?

Second, is there any advantage to plugging in a high CFM fan or am i better off using a Nexus. This will be used with an x2-3800 running at stock with no plans for overclocking.

Thank you for your help.

TooNice

Post by TooNice » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm

Similar to the 2nd question above:

Would the Nexus @ 12V provide enough cooling for a overclocked dual core AMD CPU, or would the Yate Loon be better? I read the difference between the two, and it seems they are basically the same, with the Yate Loon spinning faster (more peace of mind, but not sure how much more noise).

Oh and while I am at it, are the dimension between the Yate Loon and Nexus completely identical?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:20 pm

@MrDisco: You've got the installation procedure correct.

@TooNice: Yes, the Nexus should do fine for a OC AMD (within reasonable limits). The difference between the Yate Loon and the Nexus is minimal, I would say 1 degree or less. Also, because the fins are so widely spaced, the Ninja won't benefit much from a high speed fan. Remember — it was originally designed to be run passively using system airflow to dissipate heat, so it doesn't take much airflow to have it working close to capacity.

MrDisco

Post by MrDisco » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Devonavar wrote:@MrDisco: You've got the installation procedure correct.

@TooNice: Yes, the Nexus should do fine for a OC AMD (within reasonable limits). The difference between the Yate Loon and the Nexus is minimal, I would say 1 degree or less. Also, because the fins are so widely spaced, the Ninja won't benefit much from a high speed fan. Remember — it was originally designed to be run passively using system airflow to dissipate heat, so it doesn't take much airflow to have it working close to capacity.
thank you for your the comments. i'll just stick with a YL or Nexus fan.

for the installation however, how difficult is it to screw in the new retention frame? do i need to remove the mobo from the tray to do this procedure?
also how does the HS clip into the frame?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:50 pm

Chances are you do need to remove the motherboard, since the backplate slips out of position quite easily. Also, your backplate may not use the same screw threads as the Scythe requires.

Once the retention module is in place, the heatsink is clipped in using four hooks. A fair amount of tension is required, but it is easy enough to hook one side on first and then use the leverage to put the other clips in. The procedure is identical to the mounting system on S478 boards.

MrDisco

Post by MrDisco » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 pm

Devonavar wrote:Chances are you do need to remove the motherboard, since the backplate slips out of position quite easily. Also, your backplate may not use the same screw threads as the Scythe requires.
i have the a8n32 and from what i read the backplate is stuck on quite tightly. geez i hope the scythe retention bracket fits! (any a8n32 owners out there..?)
But you're right the whole assembly will probably be easier outside of the case.

oops also forgot the application of AS5 in the above procedures :P

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:55 pm

MrDisco wrote:i have the a8n32 and from what i read the backplate is stuck on quite tightly. geez i hope the scythe retention bracket fits! (any a8n32 owners out there..?)
No need to fiddle with the A8N32 backplate to get the Ninja on. Fits like a glove on the premounted backplate.

MrDisco

Post by MrDisco » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:55 am

Locklear wrote:
MrDisco wrote:i have the a8n32 and from what i read the backplate is stuck on quite tightly. geez i hope the scythe retention bracket fits! (any a8n32 owners out there..?)
No need to fiddle with the A8N32 backplate to get the Ninja on. Fits like a glove on the premounted backplate.
did you have a hard time installing it? what type of fans are you using in your setup?