Automatically logged out !?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Automatically logged out !?

Post by rpsgc » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:56 pm

Hi,

Lately I've been having this problem, which only seems to affect SPCR's forum (doesn't happen on any other forum).

I use Opera (8.51) and even though I check the option to "remember me" and have the username/password saved in the Wand, from time to time, when I open my mail notifications and whatnot, I see that I have somehow been logged out! It bewilders me... :?

feddup

same deal!

Post by feddup » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 pm

I use IE and also have to log in to SPCR every time. It puzzles and irritates me as well. Other forums work fine. I'd appreciatte any wisdom on the matter.

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:43 pm

Experiencing the same, it's quite annoying yes. :(

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:37 am

Guess what, I click the link on my mail notification to get to this topic and I had to log in :roll:

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:32 am

Have you tried removing all your SPCR related cookies and then setting the log in again. This worked for me once when I had a similar problem on another forum.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:20 am

Happens to me also.....I had to log in to post this, right after posting a short time ago. It's irritating....

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:21 am

Tibors wrote:Have you tried removing all your SPCR related cookies and then setting the log in again. This worked for me once when I had a similar problem on another forum.
I did that just now, I'll post later if it worked.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:48 am

It's most likely a security feature that is overworking rather than the browser
Probibly it's a cookie issue

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:14 am

I deleted all SPCR cookies yet I still get this problem... :?
It must be something new 'cause a couple of weeks ago it didn't happen.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:32 am

In the interest of balance, I've never had a problem...

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 pm

I've never had this issue too. For the record I'm using Firefox 1.5.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:02 pm

rpsgc wrote:I deleted all SPCR cookies yet I still get this problem... :?
It must be something new 'cause a couple of weeks ago it didn't happen.
That's not really the problem, the problem is that SPCR can't read them.
My security on IE is put as "Middle" and accept cookies
Not sure that helps tho but it works for me

You can try to put security and lowerst possibly and deactivate firewall and antivirus and anything else and see if that works.
If it works you reactivate one thing at a time and try to find the setting that is causing you the problem.

Don't work to slow since your computer will be wide open during the test

MattHelm

Post by MattHelm » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:39 am

ultraboy wrote:I've never had this issue too. For the record I'm using Firefox 1.5.
I'm using Firefox 1.5, and I AM having this problem. I tried the delete all cookie thing, but that didn't fix it. Also, when I do login, all the areas say I have no unread messages.
:(

A little later.
OK, I was in the forums, logged in.
1 area already had a new message, and it showed that way.
I quit out of Firefox without reading that area.
Reloaded firefox, and when I came back, I was logged out again.
When I logged in, all forums were marked as read, even the one I KNEW had a new message.

Any help?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:33 pm

It still happens to me from time to time... :roll:

MattHelm

Post by MattHelm » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:44 pm

Ha, I quit out of Firefox, restarted, deleted my cookies, quit out again, restarted, and now it seems to be working. Will try to remember to try again tomorrow, and see if it still works.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:51 pm

I only very seldom have this problem. Yesterday I noticed when it occurs for me. If I open the SPCR homepage and then the forum index in another tab, before the "In Forums" sidebar of the home page has finished loading, then I am not logged in.
MattHelm wrote:OK, I was in the forums, logged in.
1 area already had a new message, and it showed that way.
I quit out of Firefox without reading that area.
Reloaded firefox, and when I came back, I was logged out again.
When I logged in, all forums were marked as read, even the one I KNEW had a new message.

Any help?
The messages market "new" are the ones new since you last logged in. Whether by hand or automagically. So the fact that the message was no longer marked as new after you quit and reopened Firefox is actually how the system should work.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:47 am

I have this problem with FF 1.5 on Windows and Linux, but not on Mac (also FF 1.5). *shrugs*

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:06 am

Tibors wrote:I only very seldom have this problem. Yesterday I noticed when it occurs for me. If I open the SPCR homepage and then the forum index in another tab, before the "In Forums" sidebar of the home page has finished loading, then I am not logged in.
I logged myself out too, by loading the forum index then going to another page before it finishes loading (a middle-click on a Marble Mouse is clicking both buttons together :?). I repeated it today and the same thing happened. It seems that if the page loading gets interrupted you log out.

wundi

Post by wundi » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:07 am

This happens to me as well (Firefox 1.5). The log-outs seem to happen randomly: I don't have to log in every time I come to the forum, but quite often. It didn't happen some time back (December?) but I've done a new system install quite recently, and this problem may have occurred only after that, I haven't paid enough attention to say for sure.

Just a thought -- could it be a firewall/antivirus related problem? Maybe the SPCR cookies seem suspicious for some odd reason? I'm using Avast! antivirus and Kerio Personal Firewall and I've had no problems with either before.

Edit:
Disregard that! Tibors and StarfishChris figured it out already. I just tested it a dozen times and it really seems to work that way. Cheers guys! :)
One question remains: Is it supposed to work that way or is it broken?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 am

After about a week or so of problem-free browsing it has returned...

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:10 am

er yeah, cleaned cache and bam did it again.

:(

Yeah, seems to be a problem with the SITE.

anyone considering how to fix it? never on another forum of any kind does this happen.

anandtech i stay logged into for months, same with diabloii.net. hm.

not saying this place sux or anything, just wondering if it CAN be fixed.

wundi

Post by wundi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:38 am

El Jefe, did you read through this thread? Particularly the 5 previous posts?

You get logged out if you click on the Forum link on the SPCR home page before the "In Forums" sidebar has finished loading, or if you otherwise interrupt the loading of the forum.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:49 am

I just fell asleep with SPCR forums open, and when i woke up i was logged out.. :lol:
wundi wrote:
You get logged out if you click on the Forum link on the SPCR home page before the "In Forums" sidebar has finished loading, or if you otherwise interrupt the loading of the forum.
I hate that, however i get logged in but all posts appear to be read so clicking "view posts since last visit" comes up with nothing and its a pain in the arse to browse the forums and try to find the new posts.. i always use "view posts since last visit" and "view your posts" to browse the forums, and occasionally check if i´ve missed something.

I solved this by just saving my password and username, i have to click two more times when going to the forums but its better than logging in automatically and have all the damn posts marked as read.. Besides clicking two more times is faster than waiting for the whole frontpage to load.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:02 am

wundi wrote:You get logged out if you click on the Forum link on the SPCR home page before the "In Forums" sidebar has finished loading, or if you otherwise interrupt the loading of the forum.
I for one only use the e-mail notifications' links and it happens too, so...

wundi

Post by wundi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:52 pm

Alright. Personally, I haven't had a single log-out after I started paying attention to letting the forum fully load before messing around, but I guess everyone uses the forum their own way. So it seems there's a lot of different sitations where the log-out occurs -- maybe it'd be a good start of remedying the problem by making a list of them?

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:17 pm

Having the same problem. I thought it was a timing thing (ie: cookie times out after so many hours) but it ALWAYS happens when I click on the links from email notifications.

I figure the website is losing its access to the cookie as the cookie is there..

The other problem is the website remembers you when you view the forums, just befoe login, and when you login, it last remembers you when you viewed the site before login.

Has the Webmaster been engaged in this discussion ? :roll:

I think phpBB is not tracking properly.

Arrikhan

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:22 pm

MikeC hasn't posted here yet, don't know why though... He probably could shed some light into this whole situation.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:03 am

rpsgc wrote:MikeC hasn't posted here yet, don't know why though... He probably could shed some light into this whole situation.
Probably not. One or two other people are doing the technical admin stuff. I doubt MikeC knows much about the inner workings of phpBB.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:41 am

Tibors wrote:Probably not. One or two other people are doing the technical admin stuff. I doubt MikeC knows much about the inner workings of phpBB.
I thought he was :|

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:57 am

Nope. I think Alistair is (or was, anyway).
Tibors wrote:If I open the SPCR homepage and then the forum index in another tab, before the "In Forums" sidebar of the home page has finished loading, then I am not logged in.
Same here; thanks, I hate it when all messages get marked "read" :)