please check my Enermax PSU voltages

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shunx

please check my Enermax PSU voltages

Post by shunx » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:43 pm

My PC has reset randomly lately. Can someone please check these power numbers if they seem ok? Thanks.

+12V +12.29V (Hmonitor)
+5V +4.81 (Hmonitor)
-12V -12.15V (MBM5)
-5V NA
Core +1.74V (Hmonitor)
Aux +2.5V (Hmonitor)
I/O +3.33V (Hmonitor)

it's Enermax' recent 350w model.

quokked

Post by quokked » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:12 pm

have u done any modifications to your Enermax PSU at all? I swapped in a 80MM Panaflow L1A into my PSU and had the same random reset problem as u but then I moved it up to a M1A and the reset problem seems to be gone :)
what's your system setup as well? the enermax 350W should be able to handle all but the most power hungry setups
what are u doing when the PC resets though? it could be something else like a hosed windows install that needs a good ole clean and reformat :)

shunx

Post by shunx » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:37 pm

I took out the exhaust fan and left the intake fan alone. I've had two harddrives running, but one of them is old. I thought it might be Windows too, maybe it's time for a good reformat.

How are the power readings by the way, ok?

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:00 pm

Dear shunx,

The voltages are within the tolerances as defined in the ATX/ATX12 Power Supply Design Guide. However, the +5 line is one of the crucial voltages and is a little low. The +5 supplies the power to all the electronic components on the MoBo, the HDD, the CD/DVD & floppy drives, etc. The +12 operates the motors in the HDD, CD/DVD and floppy drives.

If you are handy with a multimeter, you might consider checking the +5V & +12V at one of the left over or unused white 4-pin connectors that would go to the HDD, CD/DVD, etc. Turn on the meter & set to read DC voltage on a 20 to 100VDC scale.

The Black lead on the multimeter is common and connects onto one of the Black wires on the connector. The Red lead on the multimeter is the DC input. Touch the Red meter lead onto the Red wire on the 4-pin connector & the meter should read around +5VDC. Now test the Yellow wire & the meter should read around +12VDC. Record the results & reply back to the forum.

I agree with quokked in your providing what your hardware is, what operating system, what you use the computer for and what were you doing when the system crashed.

Your problem could still be the PSU. Time will tell.

TerryW

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:13 pm

TerryW's voltage check advice should tell you clearly what the PSU itself is producing. If it is higher than the numbers read by Hmonitor, the losses are in the ATX connector/cables to the mobo, But none of your voltages are any cause for alarm.

A more serious issue might be the removal of the 80mm fan. Despite its smaller size, the 80mm fan does exhaust the heat in the PSU more effectively. Maybe your PSU is just running too hot. If you have a thermometer, digital sensor or other temp measuring device, try wedging a sensor into one of the HS (after unplugged from AC power & left to sit for a while!) & take readings as you try different things.

Did the random resets occur at all before the PSU mod?

Try blocking all the vent holes in the PSU other than the hole left by the 80mm fan -- that will ensure that all the airflow from the 92mm fan serves to move the heat out of the PSU.

The old drive might be an issue, but hard to tell with the info you've provided.

Melchior

Post by Melchior » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:27 pm

One other thing you may want to try is updating your virus scanner and checking for viruses-- some backdoor-type trojans can allow an attacker to reset the machine.

I had an issue for a while with my server rebooting randomly (a 300MHz machine with no heat problems, voltages all within spec), which was solved when I installed a stronger firewall on the machine. Further inspection showed that I had a trojan on the machine.

shunx

Post by shunx » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:28 pm

(weird, I thought I replied to this thread...)

thanks for the replies, I have since
1) removed the old harddrive
2) reinstalled Windows
3) scanned hd by Norton Antivirus 2003.

The air coming out from the PSU doesn't seem that hot.
I don't have a multimeter so can't check the voltage.

So far the PC hasn't reboot again, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again.