Thermoelectric swiftech

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

liz

Thermoelectric swiftech

Post by liz » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:40 am

Swiftech MCX462+T comming out soon. Has a built in peltier. Do you think that this would be good with a low rpm fan or will it require a huge fan. (I am still scared of the thermalrights weight hence why I am looking at mobo mounting solutions.)

will you be testing one?

Elizibeth

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:32 am

if u look at the swifty's specs on the website they recommend a 80CFM fan on it for good performance and at LEAST a 60CFM one, considering that the peliter is rated and like 225W or so that's a LOT of heat to get rid of, u'd probably be better off with watercooling :)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:12 am

yeah, best ignore that particular unit - for hardcore overclockers only i think! The extra heat just means you need more CFM. Plus if the TEC is 225W you would need another PSU too! Plus it will be extremely pricy too i would imagine maybe ~£100.

I think i remember your other post, and like i said there, if your gonna be moving a lot, its probably best to go for a HS which bolts through the mobo, like the Alpha or the standard Swiftech, rather than clip mechanism HSs.

liz

Post by liz » Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:37 am

Yeah I will be going with the swiftech + it just isn't out for another week, and I was just wondering in the mean time. looks like i'll stick to the normal swifty cheers

WillyTrombone

Post by WillyTrombone » Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:26 pm

If you're worried about keping it quiet, definately avoid a peltier cooler. They generate more heat on the hot side than they remove from the cool side, so your HSF on the hot side has to be able to dissipate more heat than if it were attached directly to the processor. Also, the juice applied to the cooler means the PSU will have to be sending more current out to the system, which will generate more heat to be dissipated up there, as well. Generally, to support a peltier, you need much more airflow than you would without one.

maskedgeek

Post by maskedgeek » Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:04 pm

lemme tell ya something that will turn you away from that fast

first of all, the maximum load on it is 100watts from a cpu, that is like my 1600+ overclocked to 1.9ghz, i can almost do that on regular air with a LOW cfm fan and a svc goldengate. i CAN do 1.8ghz with it and keep my load around 45-50c, thats with 28cfm 80mm fan. that is around 80-90 watts rite there, and if you were to stick the swifty on there, from the graph and from results you would be at around 45c and you would have to deal with condensation. now if you were to hop it up to 1.95ghz(around 115watts) your cpu would plain ol fry, the peltier couldnt handle the heat, and the heatsink couldnt handle the heat

and btw, i can EASILY throw 1.95ghz at my wc system