Old quiet computer in SLK3000B case (ca 400 KB pics)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jonasy

Old quiet computer in SLK3000B case (ca 400 KB pics)

Post by jonasy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:50 am

Hi! :D

Ever since I bought this computer some three years ago I have tried to make it quiet. I started my “journey” with Enermax fans, AX-7 CPU cooler, another Antec case with stock PSU (loud). Then I updated it with a Fortron PSU, much better, Papst fans (all fans wired up with Zalman Fanmates), Zalman GPU-cooler and Novibes hard drive mounting (still in use, as you can se below).

But …

… It wasn’t quiet enough, and the Papst were ticking - utterly annoying. So after consulting SPCR, I decided to start over with an Antec SLK3000B case. Compared to my old Antec, it’s very plastic! First impression wasn’t very good, what had I done?? :lol: But after some extensive modding, I’m quite pleased with it 8) I also ordered two Nexus Realsilent 120mm (case fans), Nexus 92mm (CPU fan) and Thermalright SI-97 heatpipe cooler (a real mess to install, imo!) and the new Nexus 9003 power supply.

You can take a look at my current hardware setup in my signature. Yes it’s old (3 years in May) but for what I do – writing news for a Swedish HW website/chatting/web design, it’s sufficient. My next computer will almost certainly be a Mac so I don’t feel any need to upgrade this one, although maybe I buy a used 9800 Pro or something to improve my FPS in GT Legends (one of the very few games I play).

So what have I done to make it silent? Well, let’s go through my computer using some pictures:

Overview of my case, you can see that I’ve cut the fan grill and used rubber mountings for the Nexus fan (corner cutting the Nexus wasn’t very fun at all actually).

A little bit closer. Here you can see the CPU fan, Zalman heat pipe and my not so very nice cable management. The intake Nexus fan is mounted using ordinary screws. Also visible in this picture are all the Acoustipac damping material I’ve stuffed the case with.

This picture reveals my motherboard, NF7-S. The horrible NB-fan is replaced by the classic golden passive Zalman chipset cooler. On the left side I’ve mounted a Fanmate connected to my CPU fan. The black cable with the blue diod is a temp sensor used by the PSU to decide when to start the case fans.

A better view of the backside of the computer … Note that I have replaced the screws with thumbscrews. One could also spot the orange Nexus fan inside the 9003 PSU.

A lot of Acoustipac here … note the golden and not the black stock screws for the CPU fan duct.

Here is why! I installed a dust filter which required me to change the screws. I’ve tried covering as many small holes as possible to prevent dust to enter the case.

Even more Acoustipac! Made wonders for the door’s otherwise very plastic feeling.

Note the ghetto method used to cover the air intake at the bottom.

Comments are appreciated. Except for HDD whining I'm happy ...

jjr

Re: Old quiet computer in SLK3000B case (ca 400 KB pics)

Post by jjr » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:14 am

jonasy wrote:
Except for HDD whining I'm happy ...
Very nice !!
I did something quite similar with my old SLK 2600 AMB : damping, cut the fan grills.

Eventually gave up trying to cut the HD noise and swapped to a 2" 1/2 HD. Got dead silent rigth away.

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:46 pm

looking at it reminds me of my system. must me the orange fans :lol:
btw love the power supply fan swap. 8)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:12 pm

With that front bottom intake closed off, it seems to me like there's a massive imbalance between the intake area and the exhaust area. Maybe you could try removing some of the PCI slot backplanes and see if that improves airflow?

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:20 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:With that front bottom intake closed off, it seems to me like there's a massive imbalance between the intake area and the exhaust area. Maybe you could try removing some of the PCI slot backplanes and see if that improves airflow?
big hole in side...

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:10 pm

That hole in the side looks rather small to me, and it's filtered.

dchrsf

Post by dchrsf » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:36 pm

What sort of temps you get??

I have the same board, chipset cooler, and CPU HS (SI-97), and on my NF7-S v2.0 I get around 50c loaded on my 3200+ stock at low-mid 80s ambient. I have the Zalman 92mm fan @ 5.5v~ with the resistor that came with it.

Führer

Same thing

Post by Führer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:33 am

Hi!

I have done something similar.
thermaltake sonic tower with 120mm glacialtech fan on 1000 RPM. Another Glacialtech as an intake same RPM, and default tri speed 120mm on lowest RPM on outlet. The noise is very small, but you can hear it. Is it possible to reduce it totally? Hard drives are on rubber dampers and I cannot hear them on idle. Temperatures are:

Motherboard 46 °C (115 °F)
CPU 45 °C (113 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 29 °C (84 °F)
Seagate ST3120827AS 30 °C (86 °F)

only slitly higher on full CPU load.
Funny is that MBO temperature is constantly higher then CPU :-)
It could be due to plenty of cables through case that disturb the airflow.
I wanna know if someone of you had experience with "fanless" coolers and are these temperatures ok?

(don't know how to put picture here :-)

Ciao and keep it cool (and quiet :-)!!

AMD64 2800+ sckt754 (thermaltake sonic tower)
MSI K8TNEO
ati radeon 9600 pro 256 (zalman fanless)[/img]