mcp655/laing d5 first impressions

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frankgehry

mcp655/laing d5 first impressions

Post by frankgehry » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:01 pm

Just received an mcp655. I setup a test loop with a fanless psu and I have to say that this pump is way quiet. If your're less tolerant of noise than I am, just change to setting 3. This is my first experience with water cooling equipment and I'm impressed. Noise issues have definitely been addressed with the D5. As was previously mentioned, mounting is a critical issue. The pump body to mounting bracket to case connection is so important. You can probably remove the mounting bracket and attach a suspension directly to the pump body. Will have to investigate.

I'm also using 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tygon over 1/2" barbs. It fits tight. In fact if you don't soften it up in boiling water it's hard to work with. However, the result is excellent. There is no way the barb tubing connection is going to leak. The advantages for using this size tubing has already been discussed, but so far, so good.

I'm going with the stainless bolt hose tube clamps - bottom row middle. Wide smooth band - easy to install and remove.

Please post more quiet water cooling stuff.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: mcp655/laing d5 first impressions

Post by peteamer » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:21 am

frankgehry wrote:Please post more quiet water cooling stuff.

Does my fanless and pumpless (Uses convection currents) WACC radiator (Think Reserator) count? :lol:

Regards
Pete

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:03 am

I'm interested. I found 16 hits for WACC in the forums that I'll have to look at. But until a week or so ago, I was convinced that water cooling was not worth the trouble.

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi frankgehry...

Thanks for posting about this pump. Thats the one I am going to be buying.

Did your pump come in a swiftech box? It might seem like an odd question but the company I ordered mine from sent a generic one instead of the swiftech one I ordered. It was also dusty like it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

I'm looking forward to my watercooling project as well.

Anybody here use the Swiftech Storm waterblock? That is the one I'm thinking of going with.

I have heard that the best & most quiet radiator for lower than 100CFM fans is the Thermochill PA120.3 Has anyone used one of these? Would 3 Nexus or Yate Loons take care of the fanage or should I be looking at Higher CFM rated fans?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Hi intheflow,

My pump arrived in a plain white box with a swiftech label. I ordered a storm also and it should arrive tomorrow. I went with a single black ice xflow and a panaflo 120x38mm L1A to start with.

I've read that the thermochills are really good and have well designed, built in shrouds. They are expensive.

I have nexus and yate loon D12SL-12's and don't know of anything quieter. I would pass on the nexus, order 4 yate loons, and pick the best 3. Wether or not these fans will be enough of course depends on your system.

There are some very knowledgeable people with a variety of interests and setups in the water cooling sections of these forums (you've probably already found them).

www.XtremeSystems.org
www.hardocp.com
www.ocforums.com

CrustyDemon_R1

Post by CrustyDemon_R1 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:14 am

InTheFlow wrote:Hi frankgehry...

Thanks for posting about this pump. Thats the one I am going to be buying.

Did your pump come in a swiftech box? It might seem like an odd question but the company I ordered mine from sent a generic one instead of the swiftech one I ordered. It was also dusty like it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

I'm looking forward to my watercooling project as well.

Anybody here use the Swiftech Storm waterblock? That is the one I'm thinking of going with.

I have heard that the best & most quiet radiator for lower than 100CFM fans is the Thermochill PA120.3 Has anyone used one of these? Would 3 Nexus or Yate Loons take care of the fanage or should I be looking at Higher CFM rated fans?
I'm in the middle of building a W/C PC. I purchased 2 MCP655 pumps for a dual rad system. They do come in a white box.

The Thermochill PA160 is a quiet rad due to only requiring one fan and it only just falls behind the PA120.2 in performance (using same fans/speed). The PA120.3 is a little noisier because you'll be applying 3 fans instead of 2 or 1 but depending on fan choice & air flow it will still be quiet as Thermochill rad are designed for lower air flow fans. I bought a PA160 & PA120.2 to use on my system, also the Storm & other Swiftech blocks MCW60 - GPU & MCW30 - Chip.

CrustyDemon_R1

Post by CrustyDemon_R1 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:15 am

frankgehry; those clamps your going to use what are they called?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:23 am

C,

www.mcmaster.com
part no 53175K29
MINIATURE SMOOTH-BAND BOLT HOSE & TUBE CLAMP, 304 STAINLESS STEEL, 19/32"TO 43/64"CLAMP ID RANGE E

This is just the right size for 7/16"ID 5/8"OD tubing over swiftech storm barbs.

I'm ordering the next size up for mcp655 pump barbs.
53175K31 5/8" To 45/64"

They both will work on both barbs, however the bolt in the smaller size is a little hard to get started over the mcp655 pump barbs. I shoud be getting the larger ones later this week. -FG

mcmaster ships very quickly.

Marci

Post by Marci » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:02 am

Yer telling me... US to UK within 48 hours of payment usually... get 7/16 from them with monotonous regularity...

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:41 am

frankgehry wrote:C,

www.mcmaster.com
part no 53175K29
MINIATURE SMOOTH-BAND BOLT HOSE & TUBE CLAMP, 304 STAINLESS STEEL, 19/32"TO 43/64"CLAMP ID RANGE E

This is just the right size for 7/16"ID 5/8"OD tubing over swiftech storm barbs.

I'm ordering the next size up for mcp655 pump barbs.
53175K31 5/8" To 45/64"
Thanks for sharing! I too went with 7/16 ID 5/8 OD tubing and was wondering what the best clamp size to use would be. :D

As a bit of an update, the company I bought the pump from sent me the generic one which is why it didn't come in the white box with the accessories. They said that sometimes they have to make substitutions but that was not listed on their website when I originally placed my order. To their credit, they made it right by giving me the correct pump.

I took most of your advice about the fans as well...except I just ordered 3. Dang, them dudes are quiet! One is a bit nosier than the other two but it isn't really bad at all. One thing I did notice is that the fan grills I bought (a little "bling" what can I say) significantly cut the air flow coming from the Yate Loons. I plan on experimenting to see if having them on will affect the bottom line cooling performance or not.

I went with the Thermochill PA120.3 radiator. I'll let ya know after I get it all together if it is really quiet.

Last week I removed my IHS from my Sandy processor. I got 3 C cooler load temps on air.

After I test to see if the max overclock will go up with the IHS removed and still on air, it will be time to finally build the watercooling setup.

Having everything on the shelf just waiting is very tempting...must...resist...the urge! LOL

How is your system coming frankgehry?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:52 am

itf,

I'm using two different sizes - one for swiftech barbs with 5/8 OD hose, and the next size up for mcp655 pumb barbs with 5/8 OD hose. Either size will work, but the larger size is a little easier to use over the pump barbs. My system is working fine. I still have to think of a good way to mount the pump, but for now it's very quiet resting on a foam pad.

Your setup should work great.

part no 53175K29 (best for swiftech barbs)
19/32"TO 43/64"

part no 53175K31 (best for mcp655 pump barbs)
5/8" To 45/64"

Butcher

Post by Butcher » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:46 am

Don't forget www.procooling.com

Marci, what sort of shipping costs are they charging for 7/16? Last time I looked into anything off mcmaster minimum shipping was $50...

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:05 pm

frankgehry wrote: My system is working fine.
What kind of temps are you getting? More importantly, what was the degree drop for you when you switched from air to your current W/C setup?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:22 pm

My idle temps dropped from 42 to 32 and with 2 x cpuburn the cpu temp never exceeds 42. With the xp-120 the temps would go up to 60. I'm running the pump on setting 3 with a single bi x-flow and a panlflo 120x38 L1A.

InTheFlow

Post by InTheFlow » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:51 pm

Nice drops! Once mine is up and running I'll post what kind of drops I get. :) And hopefully, how quiet it is.