Thinking of selling my PC for a quiet/silent system

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

testingthis

Thinking of selling my PC for a quiet/silent system

Post by testingthis » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:23 pm

Recently, reading the columns in SPCR has made me think about selling my gaming system and using the money to upgrade to a newer and more silent or even quieter PC system for gaming. The main reason I want to do this is because I am a gaming fanatic that wants a faster and more current gaming PC that has more silent or near silent acoustics.

If I do end up selling it, I hope to use the money to get a Shuttle SS51G or perhaps build another P4 system based on Intel's socket 478 CPU so that I will have more CPU upgrade options. I already have a Seagate Barracuda IV saved up for my new PC.

Here are the specs for the system I plan to sell:

Intel D850GB mobo
P4 1.7ghz CPU (socket 423)
1 gb PC800 ECC RDRAM (1 stick 512mb NEC and 1 stick 512mbSamsung)
ATI Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO
Creative Labs Audigy Platinum EX
USB 2.0 PCI card
SMC NIC card
56k Modem
2 Panaflo 80mm L1A fans
Enermax EG365P-VE PSU
10x DVD drive
24/10/40 CDRW drive
Zalman CNPS6500A-AlCu
WD 60gb HDD
Floppy
Optical mouse
Keyboard
Tool-less PC tower case
Windows XP Home
No monitor
No speakers

All the buyer has to do is add a monitor and speakers and they're ready to go. I am trying to avoid eBaying it because I think I can get more by selling it locally.

How much do you think I can get for this computer? Do you think I can get more by selling the parts separately or combined? Any comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

quokked

Post by quokked » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:50 pm

ummm in my experience if u have a pretty cutting edge computer like u've got u're probably better off selling it by parts....
- u might want to try and save yourself the trouble with a system like yours and upgrade the video card to a Geforce Ti 4200 or something in that class, that should give u better gaming performance.
- Have u tried to silent some of the parts or this computer yet though?
- The ATI Radeon 64mb DDR VIVO runs pretty slow compared to some of 2day's cards (is it like a 8500?) so that'll give your gaming a big boost :) (my friend said my new Radeon 9000 Pro has increased my CS skills dramtically) :D
oh yeah and what country, state/province, city u in as well? :)

testingthis

Selling in parts

Post by testingthis » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:45 pm

Thank you for the tip on selling in parts. As you can see from the list of some of my existing components, I've tried silencing this beast, but it still emits a hum. The Radeon video card I have is comparable to the Radeon 7200. It is the loudest component by far. Ironically, I was thinking of upgrading the card to the latest and greatest, the Radeon 9700 Pro with the money made from selling all of my parts/system. I heard Hercules has a relatively quiet model compared to ATI(see on Hercules site). Oh, and to answer you question, I live in Cerritos (near Long Beach), CA, USA.

quokked

Post by quokked » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:24 pm

cool u might consider a Radeon 9000 Pro or a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 card that'll fit nicely into your budget if it's your major noise generating component and then u can keep your current setup as well :)

Zergling
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zergling » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:39 pm

I think you should sell your system, the reason: old willy P4 sucks, rambus sucks (they are dying), Intel Mobo sucks (no tweaking options) 1G Ram Overkills (unless you do video editing or host a game server you don't need that amount of ram) Sell this pc on ebay or forums like hardocp, tomshardware or anandtech, you can build a more powerful and quieter system without throwing in extra cash

If you plan to sell, sell it separately, the Rambus memory you have worth a lot, and you don't need to sell them all. Here is the price you can expect from the parts if you plan to sell them really really quick.

Intel Mobo $40
P4 1.7gig $80
Rambus 512MbX2 $100X2
ATI Radeon $30

Total $350
I am sure you can get much more money if you do it patiently, the 512mb rambus memory costs $150 on pricewatch
Now you can set up a new system

For a super quiet system:

Athlon XP 1600+ $60
Epox EP-8K3AE $80
256Mb crucial pc2100 $80
ATI Radeon 9000 $90 (sappire makes a fanless model)
Heatsink Thermalright SK7 $30

Total $340, shop around you can find better prices
The Epox board has a lot of tweaking options, you can try to undervolt your CPU or even underclock it, the heatsink accepts 80mm fans so your panaflo fans should work fine, now let it run at 7V... you have a faster and quieter system