Power Consumption of 24/7 PCs

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

Re: you can say that again...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:06 am

Hello:
Zhentar wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote: How will we guard/prevent it from being stolen and used in a nuclear bomb
That one we don't have to worry about at least, like I said before, its too low quality for a bomb, and all countries capable of refining it are capable of making the plutonium themselves.....
I beg to differ; some of the isotopes of Plutonium are easily made into a nuclear bomb, and the others that aren't can be made into so-called "dirty bombs". This is a HUGE problem, especially in the former Soviet republics where radioactive materials are just sitting there with almost nobody looking after them!

Here's some reading to back me up: Plutonium overview

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:31 am

Dago and Tragus: You're right. I have a habit of typing things while thinking other things and then assuming everyone will somehow be able to read what I wrote and then think what I thought. What I should have added at the end is this:

In my "Change should be a product of the market and not of political choice" theory, change does happen (like you guys said, when the coal mine shuts down and when Calgary hits a recession because oil is no longer needed) but it is gradual, giving society time to change with it. It is gradual because when (for example) oil becomes too expensive to use, it will first become too expensive for a few people to use. And the demand will drop slightly. Then it will become too expensive for a lot of people. And the industry will be affected a lot. Then it will be too expensive for everyone. And the industry will be over. But there will be years in there for the people involved to go another way.

I think the true test of a society is how it adapts to these changes. My guess is that the main bulk on unemployment in an ex-coal mining tiwn is among former miners...which sounds dumb but listen! It's not among their children. Anyone can have a job if he's willing to change. We have fisheries here in Canada where this same thing is happening (except because of over-fishing) and some fishermen stay at the coast and are unemployed for the rest of their lives and hate everything. And some move here to Calgary (actually, lots) and find new jobs and are happy.