PC Club ENP612 with annoying fan...

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

j-frog

PC Club ENP612 with annoying fan...

Post by j-frog » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm

I got this laptop for christmas, and it's an excellent laptop. Only problem is the cooling fan occasionally kicks on at full speed, and sounds like a jet taking off. Silencing a desktop is one thing, a laptop is a whole nuther world to me. I tried looking for a BIOS update on PC Club's website, but to no avail(sometimes BIOS updates improve cooling fan operation on a laptop).

System specs:
Pentium M 1.7
1gb DDR2
Hitachi E7K100 80gb
NEC DVD-R/RW DL
Geforce 6600 Go (I suspect this is the source of most of the heat).

I installed Centrino Hardware Control, and the CPU goes up to 51C/GPU 64C then the cooling fan kicks in full speed, then ramps down and temps quickly go down to 46C/53C(this is all idle). However, when I play any game, the fan starts in low speed and stays there. I want the fan to only operate in low speed when I'm only surfing the web. Any way of achieving this without ruining my laptop?

mimp

Post by mimp » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:57 am

I've just got one of these too and i know what you mean about the loud full speed fan. The hard disk is a bit on the whiney side too.
I've not yet found a solution but it's definately possible - the dell utils let you test turning the fan on and off so it can be done from software, and theres a linux package that works with most recent dell laptops and allows you to tweak fan speeds - i've not had the guts to try it out yet as the readme has dire warnings about testing it on unsupported laptops, but i'll report back when i do. As for windows have you had any luck with speedfan? I've used that a lot on desktops but not yet had a go on the dell..

It's not all bad - Does seem to go for ages without the fan kicking in at all, and when the hard disk turns itself off you can barely detect the computer's powered on at all.