Asus z70va, quiet with Speedfan

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jasonlava

Asus z70va, quiet with Speedfan

Post by jasonlava » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:21 am

I recently bought an Asus z70va and while I'm very happy with it, it's not the most quiet lappy. The cpu fan is fine, just makes a low rumble at all, and hardly even starts when I undervolt the cpu.

The GPU fan is whiny. When it comes on, it doesn't go off when the temp is reduced.

So now, I'm using SpeedFan and Notebook Hardeware Control. I have the CPU undervolted enough to not have a blue screen and the fans idling at around 1400 rpm. Barely audible to my ears and MUCH quieter than my deskop system. I'm getting around 45c on the cpu and about 55c on the gpu. Being undervolted, my CPU never cracks over 70c under load. If it does, I have SF programmed to spin up the fan to quickly cool it. The GPU does get hot under load and the fan will spin up during a game.

The one side effect from having SF is the fans spin up to max during startup and shutdown. On startup, SF lets the fans spin up for a good running start and on shutdown, when SF terminates, the fans just go wild until the computer reboots and regains control. Other than hearing the tiny jet engines during a reboot, my Asus is QUIET and cool. :)

jozi

Post by jozi » Mon May 01, 2006 1:23 am

Do you notice a hit in battery life with the fans constantly running?
One of the reasons i got my M6Va (same laptop as V70Va) was for the spec and the battery life.

Jozi

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Mon May 01, 2006 2:31 am

jasonlava - there's an option in speedfan in configure>options>set fans to 100% on exit, which, if you untick it, will stop the fans going crazy on shutdown. There's nothing you can do about start up I'm afraid, but at least it's 1/2 the problem solved :)