spend too much time?
10%
go crazy?
29%

Total votes: 21

theyangster

A Finally Quiet SLK3700AMB Final Edition [I Hope]

Post by theyangster » Sat May 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Been done for a couple of weeks, but no time to write a detailed write-up.

Here's what I hope to be my final build before I start a different project (of course after I do, I thought of another way....)

This system is the most radical I've done, yet it seems to work pretty well

I posted the idea here
my idea was mostly well recieved :)

The additions/changes from the last one

My system is not the most powerful, but neither it is the coolest
The ATI Rabeon 9800 pro is probably the hottest component in my rig, hence the reason why to separate it.

System
Intel 2.8 HT Northwood
MSI PT880 Neo Lsr Motherboard
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb with Aerocool VM-101 [mini-review here done by Jazz Jack Rabbit ( I got it before you, but you wrote a review ;) , thanks!)
2 x 512 3200 Nanya DDR
Audigy 2 ZS
2 yateloons, one Coolermaster 120 fan all controlled via T-balancer
80gb Seagate Barracuda IV from Ralf Hutter
mCubed T-Balancer (managed to burn out socket 3..somehow)

looking good, looks like any other case :)

]The pricinple of the Design[

Separation of the two largest heat sources:
The CPU and the GPU

This design incorporates 2 air valves that allow air to pass one way, but not the other( think of a one way street)

The valves are made out of foam posterboard, white twine, and card stock (from a folder)

The first Valve made, the main valve, is located on the front edge of the motherboard
This Valve was constructed first, the basic design was:
cardstock flaps with twine "hinges" [this design I found was the best because it is highly sensitive and other types such as tape hinges were not flexible/sensitive enough for this low flow application]

First Generation

the flaps open in to the motherboard, due to negative pressure

The Second Valve is located directly behind the front exhaust fan [VGA fan](originally the intake)
[little hard to see, but it's there]
I left a little space for air to travel unrestricted over the smart drive 2002 since the seagate tends to run a bit hot (Air travels both ways depending on if the VGA is on or not)
This came second and is little more different. While it uses the same technique, I figured out how to eliminate the central support (except on which I added later due to structual failure) and made a "cascading" design. Best example I can think of is the "domino effect", it works both ways (in and out).Though if one of the flaps manages to get stuck, it sometimes screws up the rest of them depending on which one it is, but I check on it periodically

Second Generation

this valve opens "out" toward the front bezel to exhaust the GPU heat.

Of course these valves are not perfect, but they do their job.

these two valves separate the CPU and GPU in intensive tasks such as Gaming, encoding, etc.

Pic of the whole she-bang

closeup

To promote better cooling efficiency, I blocked off the space between the NINJA and case. Now, almost all the air is sucked thru the NINJA and not wasted by going around it (air take the path of least resistance). It lowered pretty much all the temps by a degree or two.
EDIT- pic
nothing like getting maximum efficiency

]Modes of cooling[

Mode 1 "Silent mode"
Fans Running: 2 [Rear and PSU]
operational zone 0C-44C [T-balancer Response curve]

Air enters thru the rear PCI slots, passes over the VM-101, makes a U-turn to the Scythe NINJA and out. The VGA valve remains closed (neg pressure)

Notes
The CPU and MB temp [from speedfan] only control their respective fans, the Rear Exhaust and PSU [MB temp]. They do not activate the VGA fan [Front exhaust fan] because it uses the T-balancer's digital sensor which is attached to the VM-101. This setup runs a bit warmer due the fact that the GPU dumps heat into the flow.
fan voltages 30%-42% thru speedfan
since the air is coming thru the PCI slots, the opening is a bit larger than the VM-101 itself. To correct it, I placed a foamboard cut out of the VM-101 and placed it inbetween the open PCI slots and the VM-101 (again path of least resistance). This lowered temps again, mainly for the GPU (since there is no temp sensor on 9800 pro, I stuck a digital sensor on the VM-101, not the "true" temp, but much more stable temp wise, otherwise if I put on the back of the GPU die, it'd flucuate a lot)

Mode 2 "intensive mode"
Fans Running: 3 [Rear, PSU and VGA]
Operational Zone: 44.5C and up

Air enters thru PCI slots, passes over VM-101 and exhaust straight out the VGA fan.

Notes
now since the VGA fan has activated, the main valve has closed, cutting off the main airflow, the Rear and PSU fans still spin, but where they get their air, I don't know :D. I'm trying to figure out a way to give the CPU a bit more air, but so far it hasn't given me any problems. If things really get bad, the fans ramp up to the point where they "force" open the main valve because a higher neg. pressure.
I often can feel the heat coming thru the front bezel which tells me it's doing it's job.

Thinks to work on:
humming noise, can't tell if its the HD, PSU, don't think it's the fans, only can hear it when I move my head to the back of the comp.
replace the PSU fan with a yate-loon, the Coolermaster has this faint click that I can hear...
ghost the HD and put it on a laptop HD drive

Oh and why I did this?
to have fun ;) prove people wrong :P

Of course the Computer is now very very quiet. I think it was worth it.

Questions?Commments?Concerns?
Last edited by theyangster on Mon May 29, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sat May 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Could you try to draw arrows for the airflow? Might be just me beeing tired but I don't fully understand it.

What was the temps on the machine before and after mod?
Splitted for each component or are all your components just as hot?

I'm glad you did the idea, I remember your original thread. Always nice to see some new unique mods.

Unless you silicone all edges you will not have anything airtight. Some air is always slipping throught.
You could try to remove that PCI-bracket just above the graphiccard to alowe some air to get in for the ninja. Other solutions might be a little heavier flaps at 1 or 2 of the 5½-inch spots. You might need to remove the door for that to work.

Now, I'm off to bed ,-)

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sat May 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Could you try to draw arrows for the airflow? Might be just me beeing tired but I don't fully understand it.
via mspaint
Green is "silent mode"
Orange is "intensive mode"

Actually the silent mode is pretty efficient, I may not have need the VGA valve, but o well :D Not once has it started, since I made the final additions, might turn down the start temp in the T-balancer
What was the temps on the machine before and after mod?
current temps are
Case-22C
CPU-35C
HD-38C

VGA-43C (via digital temp sensor place on the VM101 heatsink fin)

As for the before temps, I kinda don't want to know :D
but my temps from the lastedition
CPU 38idle / >60C Load
Case 23
HDD 41

so about a degree or two less with one less fan ;)
I'm glad you did the idea, I remember your original thread. Always nice to see some new unique mods.
Unless you silicone all edges you will not have anything airtight. Some air is always slipping throught.
You could try to remove that PCI-bracket just above the graphiccard to alowe some air to get in for the ninja. Other solutions might be a little heavier flaps at 1 or 2 of the 5½-inch spots. You might need to remove the door for that to work.
don't think I want to seal everything up, my setup won't work then ;), but yes I'm been trying to find out a way to get more air, but it seems to work well all by itself.
Now, I'm off to bed ,-)
how late is it over there?
Last edited by theyangster on Sat May 27, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: A Finally Quiet SLK3700AMB Final Edition [I Hope]

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat May 27, 2006 6:14 pm

theyangster wrote:Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb with Aerocool VM-101 [mini-review here done by Jazz Jack Rabbit ( I got it before you, but you wrote a review ;) , thanks!)
I may have done VM-101 review first, but you beat me to the main system. :D Was meant to post it but was too tired to do it sooner.

Interesting design, about separating video and CPU. In my case I actually put them together as close as possible. The idea was to put all the hottest parts as close to rear exhaust fans as possible. Anyway, you'll see it when I finally get to posting it.

BTW that thing humming is most likely either HDD vibrations transmmitting through smart enclosure of PSU fan, I have the same problem and no way of fixing it. :evil:

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sat May 27, 2006 6:24 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
theyangster wrote:Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb with Aerocool VM-101 [mini-review here done by Jazz Jack Rabbit ( I got it before you, but you wrote a review ;) , thanks!)
I may have done VM-101 review first, but you beat me to the main system. :D Was meant to post it but was too tired to do it sooner.

Interesting design, about separating video and CPU. In my case I actually put them together as close as possible. The idea was to put all the hottest parts as close to rear exhaust fans as possible. Anyway, you'll see it when I finally get to posting it.

BTW that thing humming is most likely either HDD vibrations transmmitting through smart enclosure of PSU fan, I have the same problem and no way of fixing it. :evil:
:P

you mean somthing like this?:P beat you again
Actually now that I think of it, this was the better design..... :(

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun May 28, 2006 1:21 am

Nice, got it now :-)
As long as people get the idea it doesn't have to be nice, paint is great for that. AutoCAD is only needed if someone is going to build something for you ;-)

When it comes to the humming try to put something soft under the HDD-enclosure. I do belive that thing has some softmounting inside it but it might be worth testing.
Otherwise it might be the PSU that need some support for the side. My old one had that problem, the side facing outwards was vibrating.
My present setup doesn't have that problem

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sun May 28, 2006 11:09 am

As long as people get the idea it doesn't have to be nice, paint is great for that. AutoCAD is only needed if someone is going to build something for you Wink
Indeed, not like I'm going to use sketchup for type of stuff
When it comes to the humming try to put something soft under the HDD-enclosure. I do belive that thing has some softmounting inside it but it might be worth testing.
well the Smart Drive is resting on the foam discs and resting on the melamine foam, I made special care for it not to touch the sides. But I'll disconnnect it to see if changes anything

Otherwise it might be the PSU that need some support for the side. My old one had that problem, the side facing outwards was vibrating.
My present setup doesn't have that problem
I'm pretty sure it's not the fans, but how'd you secure yours? chaulked it? I'll try and put some of the vinyl tiles on the side to see if that does anything.

Looks like I'm getting positive response for my poll, no one said I'm crazy or did a horrible job, but some one voted that I spent too much time besides myself :) .

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sun May 28, 2006 11:16 am

I see what you mean when you said you did it to prove people wrong :lol:

Also seems to flagrantly contradict those that think that complicated pathways are a waste of time!

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sun May 28, 2006 11:36 am

I see what you mean when you said you did it to prove people wrong
and did you vote that I was crazy? I could have sworn before you posted nobody said I was crazy.... :wink:
Also seems to flagrantly contradict those that think that complicated pathways are a waste of time!
Only MikeC :lol:

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Sun May 28, 2006 12:29 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote: BTW that thing humming is most likely either HDD vibrations transmmitting through smart enclosure of PSU fan, I have the same problem and no way of fixing it. :evil:
Just fidddled with it, turns out the HDD cable which was somewhat nicely folded up, but the slave connector was closer to the master connector. I folded the cable in such a way that when I tried to fold the cable around the corner of the Smart Drive, it didn't reach quite all the way, so I think the slave connector was touching the MB which must have amplified the vibrations with the whole motherboard! (which also explains why i heard it predominately in the back)

So I used a slightly longer cable, folded that up nicer and the noise is gone!

All is good now, except it just makes the Coolermaster "ticking" sound more obvious :evil:

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun May 28, 2006 12:39 pm

theyangster wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not the fans, but how'd you secure yours? chaulked it? I'll try and put some of the vinyl tiles on the side to see if that does anything.
It wasn't the fan itself but the side of the PSU that was vibrating. I couldn't hear it (but I could feel it) when the side was off but when it was on it was very disturbing.
My present homemade case is squeezing the PSU between a woodplate and 2 metalbars and is resting on a woodfloor and soundabsorbing foam on the back. All hard areas is covered with silicone

See my website. I hope you don't have a modem ;-)

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon May 29, 2006 8:35 am

well, I actually consider myself crazy, so if I vote crazy that's meant as a compliment :D

I think it's awesome you're doing something so different and revolutionary. However I do wonder where the air is coming from in your main compartment with both fans on... the PSU is an exhaust also??

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 am

McBanjo wrote: See my website. I hope you don't have a modem ;-)
Nice dog....I mean computer :)
klankyman wrote:well, I actually consider myself crazy, so if I vote crazy that's meant as a compliment Very Happy
why thank you 8)
I think it's awesome you're doing something so different and revolutionary. However I do wonder where the air is coming from in your main compartment with both fans on... the PSU is an exhaust also??
thanks again ;)

I'm guessing the air is forced thru the front bezel covers, I really don't know :)
I experimented leaving one bay cover open, but then the negative pressure for the GPU drops to the point where it is no longer effective enough

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:57 pm

small update

I replaced the Seagate Barracuda IV with a Samsung MP0402H

Suspended with a blue S'getti String (craft lacing)

Fresh Install, fresh start for summer. I finally was able to install the "stabler" API drivers for the T-balancer, the VCP ones were crap.