It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Western Digital Raptor 150GB: New Revision, New Noise?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:15 pm 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:23 am
Posts: 1845
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Western Digital Raptor 150GB: New Revision, New Noise?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:44 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Posts: 7365
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Hello Devon,

The thickness of the material around the main bearing hub (on the bottom of the unit) does appear to be more substantial on the new version -- maybe this is why it has lower idle noise?

_________________
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:58 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:59 am
Posts: 1628
Location: Portugal
Perhaps the new 74GB Raptor also benefits from lower idle noise but lower seek noise?

_________________
Antec Solo (NB XL2 120mm @ 5V + XE1 92mm @ 5V), Corsair AX750, Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 (B3), Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.6GHz w/TRUE 120 Rev. C @ 5V, 8GB G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600, Sapphire HD 7970 3GB Dual-X OC, Crucial m4 128GB + WD10EALX + WD6400AAKS + WD20EARS, Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, JVC HA-RX900, Dell U2312HM + BenQ G2400WD, SteelSeries 7G, SteelSeries Xai, SteelSeries QcK+


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:54 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:06 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: New Hampshire, US
I own the new revision, and I can attest to the loud seeks. I've also got a WD 320gb, KS revision, same as the recently reviewed 500gb. Seeks are barely audible from the 320gb drive, whereas the raptor is very noticeable. I can tolerate it, as idle noise is incredibly low, and when I do access the drive I'm usually playing a song, or using my headset for a game. This combination of drives is the first I've had that emit practically no whine, at least none that I can hear. The raptor does seem to get hot though. I've got a fan at 600rpm blowing at it, and it stays at 43C as monitored by Speedfan. Oddly, speedfan doesn't detect the 320gb drive..

_________________
F@H
Oldest Setup
Old
i5-750 | TR AXP-140 | DFI MI P55-T36 | Lan-Gear mITX | HD5850 | Silverstone ST45SF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:16 am
Posts: 220
Location: U.S.A.
I find it amazing that a 10,000 rpm drive can have only a 20db idle noise level! Amazing, since a 4,200 rpm drive in the old days could make your ears bleed. :)

However, after listening to the mp3, seeks are a little too rough for my taste.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 2465
Location: London
It seems as though Western Digital is getting in the quiet game. First the very quiet 500 gigger, now this - seeks notwithstanding, I betcha with 7200 rpm and AAM those seeks would be comparable to a P120. Samsung needs to start playing catch-up. Customers win :D

_________________
Thinkpad X200 – aging fan, T60p – Core Duo whine :(
Nothing endures but change


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 1371
I think it's time you guys switch to "two distance" noise recording we talked earlier. Up close, the new raptor sounds horrible, so much high pitched noise. :evil: The db numbers tell us one thing, but when I listen to noise recordings, there is no way I can perceive raptor as quieter than P80/P120. I don't think you should do away with the current 3" recording distance either, but do two instead. 3" to hear all the details, the noise character and 0.5-0.75m one so that we could hear what the drive would sound in real life situation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
JazzJackRabbit wrote:
I think it's time you guys switch to "two distance" noise recording we talked earlier. Up close, the new raptor sounds horrible, so much high pitched noise. :evil: The db numbers tell us one thing, but when I listen to noise recordings, there is no way I can perceive raptor as quieter than P80/P120. I don't think you should do away with the current 3" recording distance either, but do two instead. 3" to hear all the details, the noise character and 0.5-0.75m one so that we could hear what the drive would sound in real life situation.

We're moving in that direction. More in the next review, and probably some new recordings of reference products.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 1371
MikeC wrote:
We're moving in that direction. More in the next review, and probably some new recordings of reference products.


That's great news, can't wait for new sound samples, although it means more work for you :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 580
Location: USA (Phoenix, AZ)
I have been very happy with my 150GB Raptor. I was expecting seeks to be much louder but was pleasantly surprised. Then of course there is the speed... :)

_________________
SilverStone SG05, Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-13 120MM, Seasonic X-460, ASRock Z77E-ITX, Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2, Samsung 30nm 1.35V 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, PowerColor AX7750, Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:26 pm
Posts: 1421
Location: Finland
JazzJackRabbit wrote:
I think it's time you guys switch to "two distance" noise recording we talked earlier. Up close, the new raptor sounds horrible, so much high pitched noise. :evil: The db numbers tell us one thing, but when I listen to noise recordings, there is no way I can perceive raptor as quieter than P80/P120. I don't think you should do away with the current 3" recording distance either, but do two instead. 3" to hear all the details, the noise character and 0.5-0.75m one so that we could hear what the drive would sound in real life situation.
Maybe you have bad sample? When I bought my Raptor, I did a close comparison between with my P80 and my raptor, to me they both were really silent even from close distance. The raptor had a higher pitch, but nothing I would describe as horrible.

I was actually a bit suprised to see that the seek noises are so loud in the test. I guess it shows that case dampening helps to quieten down hard drives.

_________________
Antec Solo case /w Seasonic S-12 430W, Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-SH2, X2 4850e /w Scythe Ninja, 2x2Gb DDR2800, WD Raptor 150GB, 500GB WD GP in Antec MX-1, BenQ G2400W, Logitech diNovo Laser, Logitech z-680


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:24 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
JazzJackRabbit wrote:
MikeC wrote:
We're moving in that direction. More in the next review, and probably some new recordings of reference products.


That's great news, can't wait for new sound samples, although it means more work for you :twisted:

I have to say, however, that the quality of your own PC sound playback system is extremely important; it probably affects what you hear from these recordings more than anything else. If you know you don't have a very good playback system, then I'd say improve it before you tell us our recordings are no good.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:12 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 1775
Location: At Home
ryboto wrote:
The raptor does seem to get hot though. I've got a fan at 600rpm blowing at it, and it stays at 43C as monitored by Speedfan. Oddly, speedfan doesn't detect the 320gb drive..
I’ve also noticed that Speedfan has problems with monitoring multiple hard drives if that's what you are implying here. I use DTemp to monitor drive temps. It doesn’t interact with fan speeds though, so maybe somebody can recommend a program that can monitor multiple drives and control fan speeds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:53 pm
Posts: 1371
Erssa wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote:
I think it's time you guys switch to "two distance" noise recording we talked earlier. Up close, the new raptor sounds horrible, so much high pitched noise. :evil: The db numbers tell us one thing, but when I listen to noise recordings, there is no way I can perceive raptor as quieter than P80/P120. I don't think you should do away with the current 3" recording distance either, but do two instead. 3" to hear all the details, the noise character and 0.5-0.75m one so that we could hear what the drive would sound in real life situation.
Maybe you have bad sample? When I bought my Raptor, I did a close comparison between with my P80 and my raptor, to me they both were really silent even from close distance. The raptor had a higher pitch, but nothing I would describe as horrible.

I was actually a bit suprised to see that the seek noises are so loud in the test. I guess it shows that case dampening helps to quieten down hard drives.

Bold part highlighted, I was referring to SPCR noise recordings.


MikeC wrote:
I have to say, however, that the quality of your own PC sound playback system is extremely important; it probably affects what you hear from these recordings more than anything else. If you know you don't have a very good playback system, then I'd say improve it before you tell us our recordings are no good.

Where did I tell you that your recordings are no good? They are good, as we have discussed before in WD500 thread, they portray overal drive noise signature quite accurately, however they cannot be used to compare relative loudness of any two hard drives. And for the record I do have a decent system: E-MU 1212M > MisterX PPA w/steps and diamond buffers > HD-600. It's not a multi-thousand dollar system, but it's good bang for the buck and is more than plenty for SPCR noise samples evaluation purposes... :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:51 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11819
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
JazzJackRabbit wrote:
Where did I tell you that your recordings are no good? They are good, as we have discussed before in WD500 thread, they portray overal drive noise signature quite accurately, however they cannot be used to compare relative loudness of any two hard drives. And for the record I do have a decent system: E-MU 1212M > MisterX PPA w/steps and diamond buffers > HD-600. It's not a multi-thousand dollar system, but it's good bang for the buck and is more than plenty for SPCR noise samples evaluation purposes... :twisted:

Fair enuf. :wink:

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:42 am
Posts: 14
Location: San Jose, CA
I've got one of these mounted in my P180.

It does have more seek noise than the Seagate 7200.8 I was using as hda0, but only noticably so when doing read/writes for an extended period of time, like boot up, or loading my developement tools and database.

It's a great workstation hard drive, and if given the choice, I would buy it again.

_________________
Garth H
San Jose, CA
MCITP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:05 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:02 pm
Posts: 502
Is there any possibility of getting samples of 1, 2 and 3 platter Caviars from Western Digital for review?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group