YateLoon D12SL-12 or GlobalWin NCbearing fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

openwheelformula1

YateLoon D12SL-12 or GlobalWin NCbearing fan

Post by openwheelformula1 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:31 am

need a new 120mm fan, but torn between YateLoon D12SL-12 and Globalwin NCbearing fan.

Please tell me the the pros and cons of each.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:58 am

I don't have that particular Globe fan, but the one I use will turn 1800 rpms. The YL goes 1350rpms.

Cheap as those things are, just by one of each and experiment. :lol:

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:27 am

I'm very happy with my Yate Loon D12SL-12. But I've heard good things about the GlobalWin too. My guess is they are probably pretty similar as the both run at about the same rpm.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 am

Bluefront wrote:I don't have that particular Globe fan, but the one I use will turn 1800 rpms. The YL goes 1350rpms.
Uh, Globe fans are one thing, but the Global Win NCB fans (1300RPM nominal) are an entirely different thing. SVC.com will sell you the GW NCB fan for $6. It's terrifically quiet WRT motor noise - all fans that push air have the whoosh. :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:49 am

My Globe fan is apparently N/A any longer. It comes with a temp sensor, and if you short the sensor the fan runs 1800rpms. It's a sleeve bearing, and undervolted to the same rpm as a Yate Loon, sounds almost the same.

Many sleeve bearing fans sound similar pushing the same amt of air.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:52 am

I am very interested in the GlobalWin NCB fans, but its not been reviewed in SPCR. :(

According to official specs, GlobalWin fans push higher CFM (41 vs 39) and have lower dB (19 vs 21) over the Nexus fans at 12V.

Any suggestion/insights from experienced users?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:58 am

Hello,

I have posted an unofficial "mini-review":

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... win#251603

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:44 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I have posted an unofficial "mini-review":

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... win#251603
Me too! :)

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=29599

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:47 am

What the heck, I'll buy one of each and see for myself. So cheap.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:05 am

Thanks thats very very helpful!!!

Now if someone could please add Nexus to the table since SPCR consider it as the coolest/quietest fan. 8)

I don't know, but getting 1 Nexus will let you buy 3-4 Globalwins and both have comparable properties.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:27 am

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:23 am

vitaminc wrote:Any suggestion/insights from experienced users?
I just recieved three of the Global Win NCB 120mm fans. They are quite nice. Seem to be very smooth spinning and nicely balanced versus my imbalanced 120mm S-flex 1600rpm.

So far I have just swapped one into my PowerMan 300W power supply for the crappy 120mm fan that came in it. Now my power supply is silent--though, I think the Global Win may be a little too slow for the power supply's fan controller, but it is working for now.

Also, I am not sure if the Global Win NCB can push enough air through the Ninja to cool my 2.7GHz @ 1.6V Sempron 3100+ under load. Even with the 1600rpm S-flex the temperatures are a little warmer than I prefer (ie. over 50*C.) I should probably try another E6 Sempron 3100+--maybe I'll get one that can run cooler. :)

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:00 pm

I just received one 120mm YateLoon, two 120mm Globalwin NCB and one 80mm Globalwin NCB.

The Yateloon has bad ticking noise. The Globalwin is definitely quiet, but it doesn't push enough air compared to my Nexus. I bought the 80mm specifically for my stock Opteron cooler, but I think it's too weak to push my X2 3800+ Toledo. The 120mm Globalwin is pretty good as an intake fan though.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:30 am

The Globalwin is definitely quiet, but it doesn't push enough air compared to my Nexus
A fan that pushes less air than a Nexus?? Not possible surely! :shock: :lol:

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:12 am

at full speed the GlobalWin pushes a lot of air, but with fanmate at lowest setting it barely moves any air. (the 80mm)

The 120mm GlobalWin is noisy at full speed, but dead silent undervolted. However at 5V it pushes less air than the Nexus at 5V.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:36 am

openwheelformula1 wrote:at full speed the GlobalWin pushes a lot of air, but with fanmate at lowest setting it barely moves any air. (the 80mm)
Yep, 80mm fans are for point cooling, such as blowing at the bottom (the hottest part) of an HDD.
openwheelformula1 wrote:The 120mm GlobalWin is noisy at full speed, but dead silent undervolted. However at 5V it pushes less air than the Nexus at 5V.
If you adjust the voltage so that the GW and Nexus are equally noisy, which one pushes the most air? Or are you happy with penalizing the GW because it's quiet while rewarding the Nexus for being noisier? :D

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:31 am

The GW is only quiet when fanmate is dialed all the way down. If I turn it up slightly the noisy dramatically increases. The Nexus does not suffer from that.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Hello,
openwheelformula1 wrote:The GW is only quiet when fanmate is dialed all the way down. If I turn it up slightly the noisy dramatically increases. The Nexus does not suffer from that.
Maybe you got a bum unit -- give it a little gentle shake and see if the noise goes away? The one GlobalWinNCB I have is very quiet, but if you move it around, it sometimes has a bit of bearing rub. But you can also make it go away...

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:13 am

QuietOC wrote:
So far I have just swapped one into my PowerMan 300W power supply for the crappy 120mm fan that came in it. Now my power supply is silent--though, I think the Global Win may be a little too slow for the power supply's fan controller, but it is working for now.
how do you do that? I thought all power supply fan are soldered to the rest of the circuit. It's not easy to unsolder the old fan and put in the new fan due to limited space.

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:44 am

Happy Hopping wrote:
QuietOC wrote:
how do you do that? I thought all power supply fan are soldered to the rest of the circuit. It's not easy to unsolder the old fan and put in the new fan due to limited space.
No, definitely wasn't soldered. The only tools I needed was a Phillips screwdriver to open the power supply and a thumbtack to pull out fan leads from their connectors.

The power supply did use a different type of two pin fan header, but I just slipped the plastic part of the connector off the old fan and pulled the two power pins out of the Global Win's connector and swapped them into the original fan's connector. I left the RPM sense pin on the original Global Win fan connector and plugged it into a motherboard header. So now I can see my power supply fan speed in Windows. :)

BTW: the power supply is driving the Global Win fine. Under system full load the Global Win will spin up to ~1300 rpm.

Now I just need to figure out how to use my third Global Win to cool my video card. :)

bendit

Post by bendit » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:27 pm

my globalwin 12cm is really disappointing. It was noisier than my DFS and my silverstone evercool and of course my nexus. it wasn't the woosh but the bearing?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:31 pm

Bendit wrote:my globalwin 12cm is really disappointing. It was noisier than my DFS and my silverstone evercool and of course my nexus. it wasn't the woosh but the bearing?
If all you do is plug the fan into the mobo header (12V), then the one that rotates the fastest at 12V will be the noisiest, which is why the GW is the noisest. If you want a quiet fan at 12V, buy the Scythe S-Flex D, an 800RPM fan at 12V.

If you want the quietest fan at 1000RPM (for instance), get an analog fan controller such as the Zalman, Spire, or Sunbeam Rheobus (to mention 3 analog controllers) and adjust to that RPM. I believe you will be pleased with the GW NCB under that condition.

Whatever you do, avoid PWM fan controllers like the plague. Most of the reports of "clicking" that you read about are due to PWM.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:26 am

I can't decide if I should get the Globalwin or the Yate Loon. From the posts so far the Globalwin seems to be better but the store that has the Globalwin (SVC) doesn't seem to sell rubber mounts for fans and doesn't carry the replacement wire clips I need for my Thermalright SI-120 to work with closed corner fans.

Is the noise levels between the Yate Loon and Globalwin even worth debating over or is it a very slight difference? I'm particularly worried about bearing noise not being smooth, I have a Panaflo L1A at 5v and it's pretty annoying.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:09 am

Is the noise levels between the Yate Loon and Globalwin even worth debating over or is it a very slight difference? I'm particularly worried about bearing noise not being smooth, I have a Panaflo L1A at 5v and it's pretty annoying.
I can't imagine the Globalwin is significantly quieter than the Yate Loon, after all the Yate Loon is effectively silent from more than 10-20cm @ 5V (or mine is anyway). Some Yate Loons can have a "shhh shhh" type of bearing noise, but only in certain orientations (in my experience). Maybe the Globalwin doesn't have this.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:51 am

fyleow wrote:I can't decide if I should get the Globalwin or the Yate Loon. From the posts so far the Globalwin seems to be better but the store that has the Globalwin (SVC) doesn't seem to sell rubber mounts for fans and doesn't carry the replacement wire clips I need for my Thermalright SI-120 to work with closed corner fans.

SVC is one of the stores selling the NCB. If you want smooth bearing noise (and very little of it), then purchase the NCB(s) immediately. Buy your long-stick rubber fan mounts elsewhere, such as Jab-Tech; they have the top-rank wire clip you'll need for XP-120 mounting as well.

I used the 80mm GW NCBs for spot cooling my system HDD until very recently when I replaced them with the new Scythe 100mm 1000RPM fans. Nothing wrong with the GWs, but cooling a 4" wide HDD with a 100mm fan is quieter than using an 80mm (or trade the extra quietness for 2C better cooling, which is what I did).

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:03 am

Are there any stores selling the Globalwin with at least the rubber fan mounts? I can do a local pickup for SVC for the Globalwins but I will have to pay $6 shipping on a $5 order at Jab-tech.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:41 pm

After looking around online with no luck I ended up purchasing 3 of the Globewin fans. I'll just try using zip ties to hold down the fan on the Thermalright SI-120 and skipping the rubber mounts for now and see how it goes.

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:41 pm

I absolutely love my Globalwin NCB 120mm.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:09 pm

I picked up 5 of the Globewin fans today. They seem to be a little weird because they spin faster depending on orientation. When the fan is facing down it spins faster than facing up (or could be the other way around, don't remember).

They are really slow at 5v, i'd say you can duplicate the Globewin's performance if you just run an Antec Tricool at medium while giving it 5v instead of 12v. Now I'm a little worried about temps because of the low amount of air these Globewins are pushing compared to the Antec.

EDIT: I replaced the fan in the lower cage of my P180 and my raptor's temperature is hitting 52+ now instead of in the mid 40s. Ouch!

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Different fans have different RPM/voltage curves for reasons of design and implementation. For example, the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro fan falls off very fast in RPM as the voltage is lowered. This is not the sign of a bad fan; the test of a fan is how much noise it produces at a given CFM (degree of cooling). WRT the NCB versus the three-stage Antec fan, you have apparently made no effort to test the two fans at equal CFM (or, alternatively, at equal noise). Instead, your quality measure is cooling at 5V. Your money, your choice. Perhaps 5V is the only voltage you have available for your fans, but I use a Spire dual fan controller and so I have different criteria. I've found that at a given RPM level the NCB pushes as much air as any of its 120mm compatriots. I don't sweat the voltage; indeed, I usually don't know (or care) what voltage my fans are running.