Mods to a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TerryW

Mods to a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu

Post by TerryW » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:27 pm

Hi there,

I just modded a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu heatsink. I removed the very noisy 60 mm Thermaltake / Everflow fan and the fan mounting plate.

I then found four small right-angle brackets and drilled the aluminum heatshink and used pop rivets to attach the brackets to the heatshink. I then attached an 80 mm Panaflow # FBA08A12L with four screws & nuts.

The mod took around 1/2 hour start to finish. I am planning on using it with my Athlon 1800+ and see how much quieter it will be. I would like to get a hold of an 80 mm fan with the 3-pin for the MoBo RPM monitoring (MikeC has some for sale, but I need to get to his house).

I'll keep you informed.

TerryW :)

quokked

Post by quokked » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:07 pm

cool TerryW but with the 90° angle brackets and the attachment of the 80MM panaflow could u do something like glue the panaflow down with RTV silicon adhesive or use the rubber (elestothingo) fan plugs, that way the fan won't transfer it's vibrations to the 6Cu, tell us how it goes though I'm always intersested in new methods to put 80MM fans onto heatsinks (have a lot of friends who's caught the silence bug after seeing and hearing my setup) :)

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:58 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

I thought of gluing, but wanted to leave room for future fan replacement. The 90 degree angle brackets are attached to the vertical sides, so the fan is parallel to the top fins. If I can take some digital pictures, I'll post them.

TerryW

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:56 pm

Hi.

I just finished installing my modded Thermaltake Volcano 6cu in my machine. WOW, the silence is deafening! What a huge difference from the noisy Thermaltake fan to the new 80 mm Panaflow!

The temperature stats with MBM5 = Case @ 25C, CPU @ 40C & Chipset @ 18C. Slower 80 mm fan = same results as with the hi-speed Thermaltake fan. Neat, eh?

Now to tackle the PSU fan! GRRR...

Cheerio!

TerryW