Zalman CNPS8000: A Worthy Successor to the 7000?

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Zalman CNPS8000: A Worthy Successor to the 7000?

Post by Devonavar » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:29 pm

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:39 pm

Bah... what a disappointment. It couldn't even beat the 7000 at either noise or cooling. And reviews on other sites seem to suggest the thing is quite alright. All I have to say is... Go SPCR! 8)

Thanks for the review, Devon.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:07 am

typo patrol:

page 2-
It is quiet similar to Thermalright's XP-90 and XP-120 heatsinks
page 3-
Because there are so few parts, putting the bracket together is quiet intuitive.
page 4-
The small drop off at this less is somewhat of an empty victory
page 5-
We have to shake our heads and wonder what Zalman thinking.
Zalman seem to have totally lost the plot on this one. Tightly-spaced fins need high static pressure to cool effectively, so you need high fan RPM, which = noise, and lots of it. Was this made while all the engineers were on holiday?????

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:23 am

What would happen if you bend the fins out some like a flower and tie on a quiet 90mm fan with wire ties or something? Or is it just pointless?

danielvh

Post by danielvh » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:49 am

Damn, I had high hopes for this HSF :(

Was planning to use it in a conroe build (E6600) in an Antec NSK2400.

What HSF would be recomended for Socket775 in an NSK2400? Does the Ninja fit? If not, then what do I go for?

Thanks

Daniel

aztec

Post by aztec » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:50 am

yep...terribly dissapointing, especially when you consider how much it costs.

alas...I am still at a loss at a light, low profile effective HS/F combo for a Conroe 6600.

Although I might bite at the Thermalright MST -9775

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:08 am

Well, I don't think it's a total disappointment. Yes, there are far better heatsinks than 8000, but for a heatsink of this size, I think it manages to keep the temperature down to a reasonable level, albeit a bit high and at somewhat high noise level.

What makes me wonder, is how much better 8000 would have performed if the heatpipes were directly touching the base. Right now the heatpipes do not touch the base, instead they are attached to the fins which in turn are glued/soldered to the base. This is an inferior solution that lessens heatpipes effectiveness because heat must go through the base plate, then through the thin aluminum fins which have a limited capacity to carry heat and only then to the heatpipes. Pity...

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:11 pm

I am very disappointed with Zalman and very satisfied with the review.

This was one of the heatsinks, together with the AC Alpine that I had thought of as useful in a low noise, low profile HTPC (the NSK2400 for example).

Too bad both of them are really poor performers. Atleast the Alpine is quiet (which brings hope to cooler CPUs)

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:31 pm

I think the photo is misleading you Jazz. It's true that the heatpipes pass through the outer fins, but the heatpipes do make direct contact with the base. The fins in the middle of the heatsink are cut away to allow this.

However, I do think that the base-to-heatpipe contact is a problem, not because there is an extra layer, but because the heatpipes only get about half the contact area they normally do. The bottom sides of the heatpipes are soldered directly to the base, but the top sides are reserved for the fins, which do not carry heat.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take a photo that could show the construction to my satisfaction; it's very difficult to photograph.

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 pm

I'd say the grain of metals is nearly impossible to see with the naked eye...
A certain amount of grain is visible in the surface

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:15 pm

Devonavar wrote:I think the photo is misleading you Jazz. It's true that the heatpipes pass through the outer fins, but the heatpipes do make direct contact with the base. The fins in the middle of the heatsink are cut away to allow this.

However, I do think that the base-to-heatpipe contact is a problem, not because there is an extra layer, but because the heatpipes only get about half the contact area they normally do. The bottom sides of the heatpipes are soldered directly to the base, but the top sides are reserved for the fins, which do not carry heat.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take a photo that could show the construction to my satisfaction; it's very difficult to photograph.
Yes, the photos mislead me, looking at them I can't say that the heatpipes are touching the base. Even so, you are probably right about poor contact with base. As far as I can see (and I hope I'm not being mislead here again) the heatpipes are not "flattened out" as for example Scythe has done with ninja to improve contact. Even if proper soldering helps contact I would think flattening heatpipes would have helped even more.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:01 am

The main flaw of the design is high backpressure, so it simply can't work well with a low speed fan.
If Zalman engineers would have asked themselves why a TR SI-120 is better than a TR XP-120 (or SI-97 better than XP-90),
they would have thought twice about going ahead with this design.

brianstretch

Post by brianstretch » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:55 pm

I think the main selling point for the CNPS8000 is that it will fit in an Aspire QPack case. It beats the heck out of the stock AMD cooler in that configuration. I put one on an ASUS A8N-VM CSM miniATX motherboard in my QPack. It's a tight fit but it works.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:34 pm

Yes, that is supposed to be the main selling point... but Zalman's own CNPS7000 is the same height, costs $20, and is arguably just as good a performer. So, why buy the 8000?

brianstretch

Post by brianstretch » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 pm

Gee, I'd forgotten all about that heatsink. Wish I'd have thought of it.