Removing fan on Shuttle SV25 PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

[Molloy]

Removing fan on Shuttle SV25 PSU?

Post by [Molloy] » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:00 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Shuttle SV25, and was less than pleased to find a horrible, whiny little intake fan on the Power supply unit, especially as I intended to run the whole mini pc without any fans.

So, the questions is - is it safe to remove the fan? Maybe drill a few dozen breathing holes into the PSU casing to increase natural airflow, or should I undervolt it, or is it just a silly idea?

I've got a very quiet enermax 80mm fan that i could possibly attach to the case facia as an intake that would blow air over the psu, but as i previously mentioned, fanless is the goal.

Thanks

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:39 am

what's the size of the little intake fan on the PSU? The shuttle SV 25 is the one with the heatpipe heatsink setup right? and what's the setup u're running?

[Molloy]

Post by [Molloy] » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:56 am

The SV25 doesn't have the heatpipe, unfortunately, i think its the 50/51G that has that.

The setup is,

Shuttle SV25 cube (the PSU is a tiny 150 watt thing built at the front of the case)
Via C3 processor - 933mhz (7*133)
256mb generic PC133 RAM
Seagate Barracuda IV 80gb hdd

The intake on the PSU is mounted on the side, and it's about 25mm, i can't actually tell the exact size because i've not opened the PSU up yet. I can see from the sticker on it that its running at 12V and due to its small diameter, it makes a horrid, whiny noise. Due to the small size of the fan, I can't imagine the airflow it generates is huge.

Would pictures help?

[Molloy]

Post by [Molloy] » Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:04 am

According to this site the fan is 40mm

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~bdr00/shuttle/

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:11 am

hmmmm okay 1stly I'd cut mod the PSU so that I'd get rid of the punch out grill, can u mount that fan on the bottom of the PSU? I don't know what the shuttle setup looks like but u might be able to duct that 80MM fan onto the CPU HSF and put it into the PSU so u could get away with one fan into the case :)

[Molloy]

Post by [Molloy] » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:10 am

Don't think that's going to be possible :(

Have a look at these piccies and you'll see the problem (NOTE: PICTURES ARE 300K EACH):

http://www.glcmolloy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DSCF0120.JPG

A closeup of the PSU with the case off. As you can see, the 40mm fan is in a difficult position to remove or modify.

http://www.glcmolloy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DSCF0119.JPG

A closeup of the PSU in its position inside the case, the cage for the FDD and CD Rom are directly above, and the PSU is tucked in at the front of the case in front of the RAM slots.

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:04 pm

I actually have a similar setup.

Via C3 800
1024MB PC133 SDRAM
40GB Barracuda IV
Toshiba DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

I have a slightly different PSU than yours. I have a 20mm thick fan vs the 10mm thick fan, and I'm running it at 5V. It's a lot quieter. I occassionally disconnect the PSU fan, and case temps seem the same. I think it'll run fine w/o it. I know of some people who've done so and they're running okay without the fan. You may need to cut open or remove some of the PSU casing though to allow for better ventilation.

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:30 pm

I looked at those piccies and now I see where u're coming from :), maybe snip off the grill and cram a 40x20MM fan onto it including the screw mounts
that'd might just fit . :)