Scythe "Summit" Mine Heatsink

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
TheQuietType

My Mine experience

Post by TheQuietType » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:07 pm

A few weeks ago I built a new system using a Mine cooler, as I described here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32791.

I ordered the Mine because it was one of only a few quiet coolers that were advertised as being AM2 compatible. The runner up was the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2.

I don't know if my processor could be cooled fanlessly, but I wanted a fanned cooler so I can upgrade the CPU later.

The Scythe fitted the mount on my Asus M2N-E motherboard with no problems at all. The air flows toward the rear of the case.

I've found the Mine to be very quiet and effective. It is plugged straight into the motherboard CPU fan socket, and I have yet to bother enabling Cool'n'Quiet or Q-Fan. Still, I have no reason at all to consider a fan replacement.

bogus

Post by bogus » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:54 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
afrost wrote:but if you are THAT concerned about the noise wouldn't you just go for a ninja?
No, for two reasons. Firstly, because the Mine is compatible with more motherboards than the Ninja+, it’s just not a choice for some people. Secondly, it’s a different product and has its own unique strengths. If the Mine offers good enough performance for peoples’ needs, it’s another option. Surely, that’s a good thing!
Yep, in my box, the intake Nexus fan is the loudest, then the case vibrations from the HDDs. The mine stock fan (thermally controlled by the bios) spends most of its time spinning under 900RPM, i.e. virtually silent due the other noise sources.

My X2 4200+ is always under 40C, I'm wondering if a fanless Ninja would do the job. But even without the fan, no way the Ninja would fit in my box.

winguy

Post by winguy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:44 am

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:27 am

I wanted to see how good a 140mm fan works with it. :(