Asus W3V - The perfect power/portability hybrid! But quiet?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Asus W3V - The perfect power/portability hybrid! But quiet?

Post by akaidiot » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Well? Is it? I'm in the market of buying a laptop. And I have pretty much settled for the ASUS W3V. It is the best combination between power(ATI GPU) and portability(14,1" & 5.5lbs/2.2kg).

But the combination does not sound(no pun intended) quiet.. I've read in notebookreview forums of people succesfuly undervolting it with the result of much less fan noise and it even being of alot o the time.

Anybody here got it? Or porhaps its older brother the V6V? Any suggestions or thought are highly appreciated!

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:20 pm

Here's an update: Yes it is indeed all these things. I'm a desktop to laptop converter and my silent nerve is pleased!

I've had this beauty for a couple of month now and the only time I hear it is late at night when it's SUPERQUIET outside and in my apartment. It's nice and portable but yet I can play any game I throw at it. And 4 hours of battery life isn't bad at all! And now with the seagate 5400.3 160GB harddrive it's pretty much equivalent feature wise with my previous desktop. Other than it's a bit quiter and alot smaller!

I'm in love!

(Isn't it pathetic..)

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Do tell more...does it have a fan always on? How many fans are inside? Does it go through fan cycles?

I'm interested in the Asus range as a possible replacement for a Toshiba.

jasonlava

Post by jasonlava » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:18 am

The new W3J is supposed to be even more of a powerhouse. Same 14.1" Asus beauty but it has an ATI x1600 GPU :shock: . Of course, that relates to more noise because of heat but with ATI's Powerplay you can underclock the GPU at idle or doing apps for quiet. The ONE report I have seen on the W3J is that it is indeed quiet at idle, surfing, or office apps.

Honestly, the x1600 seems like overkill for such a small machine with a low resolution, but it's better than the middle-of-the-road x1400 and leaps and bounds ahead of the typical Intel Graphics Decelerator.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:49 am

I'd be VERY interested to find out if the W3J is quiet under low load (or if you can force a downclock/downvolt on it... also if it supports speedfan!

Seems like the best lappy to get.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:09 am

Dunno about the W3, the A8Ja seems much better to me. 5 USB ports, DVI out, and 256 MB graphics memory, and lower price. Maybe it doesn't look as good, but I still think it's ok.