I'm stressing

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

I'm stressing

Post by Wedge » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:24 pm

I'm trying to build my first; and I want it to be quiet.

I have this motherboard. Also, I have a 1.7GHz processor.

I am trying to figure out which heatsink to buy. I've never put one on so I don't know much about them. If you were building with this particular motherboard and processor, which HSF would you buy? I don't want to try to strap on something that a newbie shouldn't be fooling around with.

EDIT: I might as well mention this too, rather than starting a new thread. Are aluminum cases capable of being silenced like the steel ones? Trying to figure out which case to buy. /EDIT

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:03 am

You can get a Thermalright SLK800 for socket A/370 or the SLK800U for the P4. It about a pound of copper fins, and unless you're overclocking it like crazy a low speed fan on top will work fine. You could go to the SLK900 and put a slow 92mm fan on top, but why? Any one of these will keep things quiet and cool. Thermalright has a rep that says their hs's work. Why worry?

I wouldn't worry about the material of the case, I'd worry about airflow. Check the recommended section as well as http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3606.

I just got a Chenbro 611, what a great case for $39 shipped. When I build a P4 I'll probably use this case and a Fortron 350 watter with a 120mm fan. For a total of about $100 you got some combo.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:59 pm

Thanks for your input aristide1. Where did you get that chenbro 611?
aristide1 wrote: Why worry?
Because I have no idea what to look for in a HSF. I have viewed the recommended but they all look the same to me: aluminum and copper, just different masses and prices.
I have no idea what to look for when it comes to actually putting them on because I have never done this. I am scared that I am going to break something.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:23 pm

I got my Chenbro here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 14&order=1

The price is up $10, I would still buy it. It's the third one on the list, the 4th one on the list is the same thing in black. They usually have pics you can go look at it from various angles.

The recommended section of this website will tell you what you need to know. People here will tell you how to put it together. It's really not that bad.

In my prior post I had a link to "cases with 120mm fans", the first post has a bunch of links in it. People here tend to buy from NewEgg.com, though I like Googlegear.com as well. Always ask for places of preference for buying stuff. At least you'll know whom to avoid.

See the cpu socket on the right side, it's got a big black heat sink mount around it, heatsinks just bolt right up.

Here's a Pentium IV heatsink that would just about fall into place. The wire clips on the left hold a fan on top of it. The fan you install plugs right where the original fan plugged in. The is the Thermalright SLK800, which you can check out at thermalright.com or the recommended section here.

Over here I did it myself with the same heatsink for a Pentium III.http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5306 You can see the heatsink, the next pic has he fan installed, it practically covers up the whole thing.

:shock: <---- don't be like this guy.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:52 pm

Thanks for the pics, the links, and the quick walk-thru. I suppose whichever HSF I choose will contain detailed instructions. At the very least, your laid-back attitude has made me think I can do this :)
aristide1 wrote: :shock: <---- don't be like this guy.
8) <---- striving for this

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:18 am

:)
its not that hard m8 :)
dont be hamfisted tho

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:37 am

I suppose whichever HSF I choose will contain detailed instructions.
Ummm, Thermalright and detailed instructions? Probably not. :)
Go to Thermalright.com for links to reviews, some show how it's done.

8) <---- This is good.