noise from vibration of a fan mounted on SLK-900/800

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SZ
Patron of SPCR

noise from vibration of a fan mounted on SLK-900/800

Post by SZ » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:53 pm

Hello,

Does any SLK-800/900 user had the problem when you hear the additional noise because the fan mounted on the heatsink causes some vibration?
I've got SLK-900 and that low-noise 80mm Papst and everything is OK most of the time but sometimes vibration noise starts so I should move the fan slightly up (less than 1mm) to stop the vibration. Looks like the fan clips are not tight enough and the fan slips down because mobo is mounted vertically. I tried to place the fan at the lowest position where it stops moving down but at this position it always causes vibration noise. Should I use some sort of isolation between the heatsink and the fan? Which material is better then?

thanks!

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:57 pm

I have a SLK800U on mine, and a Panaflo L1A, and I can't hear any vibrations. I might pop her open when I get home from work.

IF there is any vibration, then I would be inclined to use the little rubber feet that shipped with the Heatsink (that you are meant to put on the Chip or the bottom of the Heatsink. I would put them on the fan. 1 it will make the clip tighter so it won't move. Two it should damp any vibration.

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:00 pm

or you can use some of these
to do something like this

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:21 pm

looks like it will work for the 900 but not the 800U.

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:20 pm

Thanks, I've already got these rubber things and will try.
By the way yesterday I tried using Zalman bracket from FB123 set - the same story - the vibration is transmitted to the bracket that causes some additional noise, I thought of using some rubber washers to insulate the fan from the bracket or the bracket from the case, going to try this tonight as well.

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:47 am

Let me know how things work out please.
I plan to do the fan mount mod when my slk-900 arrives
in a week or so.

This german company sells heatsink/fan combos with
rubber mounts pre-installed

www.ichbinleise.de Look in the CPU Kühler section.

They also have a nice video of the slk-800 in action.
demovideo

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:33 am

I tried to mount these rubber things but pospone since it's not so trivial (at least for me) as it may look, when I tried another Papst that I had installed in the other computer and strange enough this Papst does not produce this noise! So for now I keep another Papst on my SLK900, it works OK for 4 days already. Both Papst have identical model numbers but bought in defferent stores, both made in Hungary I believe.