I canÂ´t think of anything smart to say, so instead of typing a lot wich no one cares to read im just going to post temps and a short descreption and if anyone has anything to ask or comment, please do
Im also not posting a bazillion pictures unless someone wants me to, in wich case i will take and post the requested photos
The temps, here you can admire my mad sKilllz in Calc
Other than on-board temps were taken immediately after the enclosure was disassembled, again with the drive still running so it wont have a chance to cool.
ItÂ´s shown in rise above ambient because ambient temp was not constant. The HDD i tested with was a Samsung SP2504C 250Gb sata with AAMdisabled
, and before measuring it was left on for at least six hours each time.
Now i think the pcb hottest part for the mCubed is a little low, but i noticed that only after taking out the drive. Might have to check if i measured correctly.
Listed from best to worst based on noise reduction.
1. Homebrew Alleycat enclosure, aluminium box, gelpacks and foam to make it all fit tight. Idle noise completely gone from any practical distance. Seeks just audible. Quite large at 222x146x55mm, will fit in two 5,25" slots but theres no room on the sides. Maybe 1mm for some foam. Takes ages to warm up, wich is a very good thing especially if you only use the computer for a few hours at a time. The cheapest, about 25â‚¬ for the box and then some gelpacks wich vary in price, mine cost 5â‚¬ a piece so the total is about 35â‚¬.
2. Scythe Quiet Drive, about the same as the nexus for noise reduction but better for temps. Like the nexus thereÂ´s a shitload of screws in different sizes. Mounting ok, as standard some vibration might get transferred to the case. This is the one to go for out of these if you donÂ´t want or canÂ´t make the homebrew thing.
3. Nexus Drive-A-Way, good noise reduction, not so good with temps. Only one set of mounting holes slightly below center, will not align properly in all cases. Takes up two slots if the case has rails, see pic. The worst mounting system by far, only decoupling is the pretty hard things inside the enclosure. The most expensive at over 50â‚¬
4. mCubed Vertical Silence, slightly poorer for noise than the nexus and scythe but still very good, if mounted in a case and the case is under a desk it most certainly wont be audible. ATM i have a raptor in it sitting 30cm from my ears in a case without sidepanles, and its not annoying me. A 2,5" samsung annoys me. Has the best mounting system by far, large and soft
rubber mounts, and its also clearly the easiest to work with since it has no screws except for mounting in case. The best build quality, and even though itÂ´s not quite as effective at noise reduction i would choose this over the nexus because of temps.
5. Level HDD Shell, only slight reduction in noise, temps better than a bare drive. Easy to assemble and mount, very good at not
From top to bottom, Level, mCubed, Nexus, Scythe, Homebrew.
This is how the Homebrew looks like inside
So there we have it
Let the criticism commence!