Alistair's New Mothership

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Alistair's New Mothership

Post by Alistair » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:21 am

This new configuration is somewhat a result of this thread: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5056 which caused me to replace my hot AMD 2000+ Palamino with a 2500 Barton thanks to the good suggestions there. At the same time, i decided to replace my case and clean things up a bit. Here are some results...

Evercase 4252
ASUS A7V8X
AMD 2500 Barton, Thermalright SK-7 w/ Panaflo L
Panaflo Intake & Exhaust with Zalman Fanmates
2 x Seagate Cudas (one in gromets, one in novibes)
Zalman 300watt PSU

next, a detail of the intake. Fan grills cut away. doublesided mounting tape to stick the novibes to the bottom of the case (the top bay being no place for my drive) the gromets, by the way, are fairly useless.

detail of the exhaust & sink:

results:
temperatures are down significantly from the 2000+, but this is a complete rebuild, so not a completely fair comparison. I'm idling now at 53-57c with the sink fan at 11v and the case fans at about 8v. CPU load increases the temperature quite a bit, but I am in the early stages of tweaking the box. This is not exactly the cool I was hoping for, but damn do those email's come in extra fast now. :wink:

a.

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:53 am

i'm not sure if i should be commenting on this, but i love the lighting in the photographs :mrgreen:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Alistair's New Mothership

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:14 am

Alistair wrote:the grommets, by the way, are fairly useless.
Please expound.

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:21 am

Expound. Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French expondre, from Latin exponere to explain 1 a : to set forth : STATE b : to defend with argument 2 : to explain by setting forth in careful and often elaborate detail.

Useless. having or being of no use: a : INEFFECTUAL b : not able to give service or aid : INEPT

Basically they offered very little improvement from solid mounting.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:51 am

Alistair wrote: Basically they offered very little improvement from solid mounting.

I noticed this with the grommets, but in my config I have those grommets and the bracket has rubber feet which is then sitting on a mouse pad, so that way it is good. There are 2 drives in the bottom bracket, both Baracuddas too so that seems to work. The hard mounted Western Digital is another matter.