ASUS A6U (a.k.a A6000U) noisy!

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

proc

ASUS A6U (a.k.a A6000U) noisy!

Post by proc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:15 am

A friend of mine bought an Asus A6U Sempron 3000 notebook that is currently in my room since I have to install linux on it.

I can assure you this is a notebook you should avoid:

the fan is noisy and speeds up very often on Windows, while on Linux it is even worst!
The hard disk is a FUJITSU MHV2080AT PL with sharp mid-high frequency seek noise.
When the notebook is connected to the AC adapter the fan is always on running at almost full speed.

proc

Post by proc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:56 am

I want to add that after three hours the keyboard is quite warm and the area around the touch pad is warm while the area under the right wrist gets uncomfortably warm.
Probably raising the notebook with some kind of feet may mitigate the problem, but I can assure you it is a model I would not like to use.

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:30 am

proc wrote:Probably raising the notebook with some kind of feet may mitigate the problem
Interestingly, it might end up making it worse. At least that's the experience with my Thinkpad; it was running a tad hot one day so I propped the back up a little, thinking that allowing air underneath would aid the cooling. It didn't, and the CPU temp kept on slowly climbing, stabilising at something ridiculous like 80*C at idle. (The fan was running.) Disenchanted, I put it back on the table after a while, only to see temperatures plummet 25*C in a couple of minutes. Apparently, air was just trapped below the laptop, and did not significantly mingle with the air just beside, while the hard surface of a table draws the heat away from the laptop's casing. I was rather surprised at this myself, though I suppose it could depend on how fast the CPU fan is running.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:57 am

I'm starting a list of mini-laptop reviews here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=33854

Give speedfan try and let us know if it works out (assuming you still have windows somehow available).
Comment on trigger temperatures for fan start and stop temps. Can the mnfr's utility, help reduce fan speeds / cpu heat?

If you want of course...

I think this would be useful.

proc

Post by proc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:40 am

Hi cloneman (un)fortunately windows has been removed from that pc.