taisol P4 heatpipe solution for standard motherboards

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hyum

taisol P4 heatpipe solution for standard motherboards

Post by hyum » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:48 pm

FYI

http://www.tai-sol.com/pdf/cmp433151.pdf

i've seen these has these available at kds (http://www.kdcomputers.com); other vendors may have them as well.

i'd be nice if they sent SPCR a sample. i'd like to know how it performs, and if they are planning socket a solutions as well.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:39 pm

Actually it looks like they aready have a socket A version

http://www.tai-sol.com/CMK702151A.html

hyum

Post by hyum » Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:52 pm

thanks for the link! now the questions is, anyone have either (p4 or socket a) and would like to compare their experience on this forum to the other "standard" low noise heatsink-fans generally used here?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:04 pm

I tried searching for the socket A heatpipe cooler but none of their distributors is carrying it. Perhaps its too new to have made it to the US market. I sent an email to them asking for some more information, we'll see if they respond.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:59 am

:o 41.3dBA!! Doesnt sound like a quiet solution to me! Since it only uses a 60mm fan i cant see it being any quieter than say an Alpha 8942 at all. This heatpipe seems completely pointless i think - they're moving the heat to a heatsink which is smaller than my 8942! I think the whole point of heatpipes is to move the heat to a better heatsink than can fit on the chip itself (eg same as watercooling).

Im sure there will be reviews out soon thou ;)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:06 am

ChiefWeasel, I am in complete agreement. Looks like just another piece of c--p made just to cash in on a trend.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:22 pm

Exactly, I don't understand why these companies feel the need to use heatpipes to move heat a measly two inches. That can be done so much simpler with conventional heatsink designs. I think heatpipes are a very interesting technology, being able to move heat from the point source with such efficiency, but these designs don't really use them to their best advantage. Namely, moving the heat an extended distance.

Given Moore's Law I think we'll eventually get to the point where the thermodynamics of current solid-form heatsinks won't cut it anymore, and we'll need more complex (and costly) solutions like heatpipes. But we're not there yet.

maskedgeek

Post by maskedgeek » Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:01 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Exactly, I don't understand why these companies feel the need to use heatpipes to move heat a measly two inches. That can be done so much simpler with conventional heatsink designs.
very much agreed!, im working on a heatpipe myself, a gravity fed one, its just a homemade jobber, with refrigerant as the working fluid, its under pressure to use a certain boiling temp, its pretty cool stuff! i just need a few things and to get at it!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:27 pm

I'd love to see that mastergeek, even if it's only a work in progress.

quokked

Post by quokked » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:16 am

maskedgeek this might help u http://www.benchtest.com/heat_pipe1.html this guy has made one and iterated though 2 Versions of it, this is a link to the 1st version :)

maskedgeek

Post by maskedgeek » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:16 am

yeah man, thanx, iv been following that benchtest one, thats the one that inspired me,
what i have rite now is a few shraders and the condensor, cut down from an a/c system, thats all i have, i need to get a copper evaporator, some silver solder, and some coppper pipe

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:22 pm

I still think that with CPU's marching towards 100w/sq.cm., we are approaching the crunch with respect to metal heat sinks. The copper jobbies, like the ones reviewed in Mike's first roundup (slk800 et al), they are all advanced designs that show the results of intelligent maximization of principals. Problem is, metal don't move heat fast enough. The high power electronics industry is already on the path of isothermal heat spreaders, and for good reason. I think we are sitting near the apex of metal heatsink performance, and that heatpipe/phase change technology is the only reasonable future. I just want to see the products, which exist, but have not been tailored for and made available to our market yet.

In the mean time things like this Taisol and the Coolermaster HHC-001 are sound but perhaps inadequate/half way attempts at an end target. I bet that getting the heat up out of the middle of the spreader base with heatpipes should indeed help alleviate the hot spot effects of a solid metal base, and give a thermally short path to a larger less heat congested fin area, but I still doubt that either of these products is much more than a stepping stone. And I curse Taisol for not putting all three pipes out the same side. I imagine bending that upper section upright to 90 deg., ducted out, pushed by a Panaflow. Alas, 'tis not to be :cry:

morganw

Post by morganw » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:32 am

On Shuttle's USA page, they show their heatpipe for the SS51G as a separate item (PH4), but I don't see anyone selling it.

Rather than trying to build a big shroud to use the case fan as a heatsink fan (a la Dell), I'd rather use a right-angle heatpipe radiator with maybe a small shroud due to different CPU vs. fan location compared with the Shuttle boxen.

If anyone finds a source, please reply back here!

-M