Scythe Katana

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:07 am

My CPU temperature is running at 51 degrees (IDLE)
:shock:

Would your finances allow a switch to socket 754? The S754 Semprons run a lot cooler.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:45 am

I have decided that its not suitable to my motherboard/case to use Katana passively.

My case is P180 with top vent sealed. My motherboards' CPU mount is too far north of the back vent/fan so the airflow thru Katana is limited. The CPU mount is closer to top case vent/fan, so I am thinking about sealing the back case vent and use the top vent for airflows. :roll:

sune

Post by sune » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm

Hi!

I wanted to buy the ninja plus, but it's not available from my retailer and and as a first option I would like to buy all parts in one place.. The Katana is avaliable though (not the cu version). Also much cheaper.

I'm buying the following:

Antec solo
seasonic s12-430
Asus p5b deluxe (p965)
core 2 duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
cosiar dual channel ddr2 800mhz ram - 2gb
samsung t33 hd401lj
samsung dvd burner(don't rememer the name - but surpused to be really silent)
msi geforce gt7900gs (built with passive cooling)
1x92 Nexus fan for front mount
(1x120 Nexus - Optional! To replace tri-cool rear case fan)

My focus is stability and very(!) silent performance. The asus board seem to allows for some automated dynamic overclocking, so that might be an option for hardcore gaming sessions (With headphones or volume up anyway :-) )

Do I need to get the Ninja? Or will the Katana do me fine? Or maybee something else? I thought of the Asus Silent Square Cooler, but I worry about airflow in the cab. (Though I'm a total noob and don't really know what I'm talking about)

Also any feedback on the system setup overall would be great!

Thanks,
Sune

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:11 pm

What is the price difference between the Katana and the Ninja?

sune

Post by sune » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:20 pm

The Katana is 179
The Ninja is 369
(That in Danish currency - but is should provide a price ratio)

One thing I noticed is that the core 2 duo is boxed. The reason I want to buy from one retailer in one go, is so I can test the whole system for a few weeks and return for a refund if it has problems, but testing with a silent cpu cooler is not really nesesary to do that, so running it with the stock fan INITIALY would not be a problem.

So now I guess the question is: Do I want the Ninja or the Katana? Asus Silent Square? Or something else? Remember: Super silent, rock steady and occasional over clock - where more noise would be ok, but also great if it's avoided.

Also any other feedback appreciated!

Nemioke

Post by Nemioke » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:07 pm

sune wrote:So now I guess the question is: Do I want the Ninja or the Katana? Asus Silent Square? Or something else? Remember: Super silent, rock steady and occasional over clock - where more noise would be ok, but also great if it's avoided.
One word: Ninja.

You can use Ninja passively with a Core 2 Duo (I do) and if you ever need any boost to the performance (I've ran my E6600 @ 3GHz with a passive ninja - idle temps at 40°C, full load - Orthos, 3Dmark etc. - at 53°C max. Unclocked temps are at 38°C idle, 48°C max at full load, ambient is 23°C), you can put any 120mm fan you wish on it.

You really can't get a much better heatsink nowadays.

gevorg

Post by gevorg » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Can the Katana fit in Silverstone LC17 ot LC20 case?