Semi passive cpu fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mgiammarco

Semi passive cpu fan

Post by mgiammarco » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:57 am

Hello,

I am planning to buy this motherboard: K8NF4G-SATA2.
I will undervolt and underclock the cpu.

I would like to have cpu fan always off until cpu reaches very high temperatures.

Is it possible? Does this motherboard supports pwm fan control? Or I need to buy another one?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

mgiammarco

Alternative motherboards

Post by mgiammarco » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:21 am

In alternative, can you say me if you have obtained some good results with motherboards on this list?

http://www.geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat ... +anzeigen+

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:20 am

K8NF4G-SATA2 does not support PWM fan control. Biostar Tforce 6100 has Smart Fan Control and allows underclocking/volting.

mgiammarco

Do I need a special fan?

Post by mgiammarco » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 am

Ok thanks, I will search a tforce 6100. A little question, do I need a special pwm fan or a normal cpu fan can be controlled too?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 am

do I need a special pwm fan or a normal cpu fan can be controlled too?
Normal (3-pin) CPU fan can be controlled.

kater

Post by kater » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:41 am

recently i tried a revoltec fan controller - it made all of my fans (but one) whine and make loud, irritating noise when below full 12v - making it a useless p-o-s, grrr. pwm in itself seems to be fine but you've got to be lucky with your choice of fans as some are just not getting along with pwm. i was unlucky as only one fan in my collection (and i tried few brands and sizes and makes) was ok with pwm. i'm not sure tho if pwm though mobo works the same as pwm through a rheobus. anyway, what i'm saying is stay away from 3,5 revoltec pwn controllers - i talked to some people who had these and most of them experienced this kind of problem.

also, i guess there are special 4pin fans to work with pwm but they are v difficult to get as only one company makes them - it's been discussed somewhere here

hope my blabbing helps tho it's bit off-topic