mCubed's HFX mini: Fanless HTPC "heatsink case"

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Barlow

Thank you mCubed; for offering a free replacement!

Post by Barlow » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:49 am

Hi Maik,

I am thrilled with the fact that you are reaching out to me and are offering me a free replacement. I will get in touch straight away. This is great service and much appreciated! :D

Barry

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Bobfantastic wrote:It sounds to me like there is cause for a good whipping (from both the customer and manufacturer) of the supplier!
1. For selling off their "Free Samples", which is almost certainly illegal :?
2. For telling the customer to buy the expensive case instead, because the cheap versions are all crappy :x

Nice service from mCubed (by the by, you should contact MikeC about getting the --Vendor-- status); Barlow- who was your supplier?
Agreed. Boo for the supplier! Yay for mCubed for great customer service.

johncl

Post by johncl » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:34 am

I think mCubed is the only company that has understood and provides true silent computing today. And by silent I mean passive cooling. I have built a system using their old classic cabinet and has been very satisfied with the performance of this. The only detail I did not like was the dreaded plexiglass alignment of the optical drive as well as getting the eject button to work (mine would hold in the button on the optical drive all the time). Other than that the case performs as it should and I have a friend who is passively cooling a GeForce 7950GTX in this as well - he has an awesome gaming rig in his livingroom - dead silent! Its truly something you have to experience to appreciate. People are just too used to noisy computers that they dont see the problem anymore.

Well I am never going to build noisy systems anymore. My next office desktop system will be a 100% passively cooled one too. Chances are that I might even get another hFX Classic for that even though that is really made for a HTPC setting.

About the optical drive, there is some software on the market where you can set the drive to operate silently - I use AnyDVD which works brilliantly for this. Watching a DVD or listening to music, you dont have that terrible whooshing sound. Its truly dead silent.

Also, in 2 years time Samsungs Solid State Disks (SSD) will have come down in price and you can have the full operating system and necessary applications on a fast, power efficient and totally silent SSD drive. This removes the last noisy part of your HTPC. All media, music and movies you can store on a noisy harddrive in a server packed away in a storage room. I am really looking forward to these new SSD drives.

John Christian
http://htpc.lonningdal.net

Landru

External PSU

Post by Landru » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:27 am

There's definitely something appealing about these cases, and despite the cost, I might actually consider purchasing one. However, a concern for me is the external PSU. How standard are these? Is there a universal connector for hooking into these internal DC-DC adapters? By that I mean, could I just pick up an off-the-shelf laptop power brick (assuming it's sufficient for the load) and hook it into the HFX mini? Or would you have to replace the internal DC-DC adapter as well?

I suppose my main concern is the ability to do future upgrades - given the cost, I'd intend to use this case for a long time, and I don't want to find myself hampered because the PSU goes bad and I can't find a suitable replacement.

Landru