Quiet low profile chipset cooler?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Horatio

Quiet low profile chipset cooler?

Post by Horatio » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 am

I'm looking for a quiet chipset cooler for my Foxconn C51XEM2AA. The fan that comes with it is loud! I tried to replace it with an Evercool VC-RE, but to my dismay that is even louder than the default one.

The problem is the chipset is right next to the first pci-x slot, so I don't think I can replace the cooler with one of the tall silent ones. In fact, I need a cooler that is no taller than 10mm. That's how tall the VC-RE is, and my graphics card just barely clears it. Does anyone know of a quieter chipset cooler that will fit in such a tight space?

Should I just get a Fanmate to slow down the existing fan? What about unplugging the fan altogether?

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:58 pm

If you want to replace the fan, how about the Thermalright HR-05 SLI?

Otherwise, try the Fanmate approach. Having seen a pic of the motherboard IMO that cooler is a bit small.

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Unfortunately I don't think you can change this with something as small but as effective.. there simply isn't one to my knowledge. This is the most awkward position of a southbridge I have seen, really nasty. I wouldn't have bought the mobo if I were you... can you exchange it?
Also, regarding the last post, I don't think slowing down the fan is a viable option, everyone knows these little whiny coolers rely more on fan speed than heatsink surface... I know it sucks but that's the way it is man... :roll:

edit: This Thermalright HR-05 thingy looks like it will fit quite nicely down there.. so ignore my post:)

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:12 pm

Zalman NB47J. Bend some fins and it'll fit fine.

Horatio

Post by Horatio » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:21 am

Zalman NB47J. Bend some fins and it'll fit fine.
Ah... don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence. I'll give that a try if the Thermalright doesn't work out.
If you want to replace the fan, how about the Thermalright HR-05 SLI?
Looks promising. Do you have idea how tall the base is, though? The link at http://www.thermalright.com/ doesn't really say how high up that goes.

Ah... this page http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/e107_plugins ... tent.385.3 suggests it will work with my mobo. Here's hoping!
I wouldn't have bought the mobo if I were you... can you exchange it?
At the time I didn't realize how loud the chipset fan would be. Now it's a little too late... especially since when I installed the new chipset fan, I accidentally "modded" it by snapping the VGA retention clip. The mobo still works, but now the VGA is only held in place with the screw.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!