Refrigerator making to much noise….

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shortbean

Post by shortbean » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:43 am

I got the Consumer Reports Best Buy refrigerator last year. It was never quiet just okay. CR said it was only average for noise but since it was only $800 for the GE faux stainless steel which is about $500 less than the next quieter model.

A couple months back it seemed to be increase it’s noise making capabilities. I cleaned it thinking maybe dust was making it work to hard. It made no noticeable difference.

Has anyone done a noise mod on their fridge? Secret tips? Know of a fridge mod page?

What additional information might help you? Noise recording?

Model # I think GE GSH25JFT

thanks

I'd like to suggest a new forum for 'Silent NON-PC topics.' For Mods, Mufflers, Appliances, Cars, Lawn Mowers, etc...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:57 am

Has anyone done a noise mod on their fridge? Secret tips? Know of a fridge mod page?
Most fridge noise is from the compressor; there's not a lot you can do to make a noisy fridge quiet. You can try putting sound-absorbing material behind it (like carpet).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 am

You're not the only one who's having a fridge noise problem; it's got to be one of the most common source of noises around the home.

Describing the noise in detail is always helpful.

I was researching the topic myself recently -- a freezer is getting progressively noisier -- and found this info:

The compressor is encased in a metal "can", and mounted within it on springs. The springs are usually steel. If they get stretched or weak and allow the motor to touch the casing, then the vibrations of the motor turn into audible noise. This sounds like my problem; it's only when the compressor is running that the noise occurs, and it's the kind of deep humming that would come from motor vibration conduction.

I've read that the can can be opened up and the springs replaced, but also that opening up the can is not advisable. I am going to try and identify whether the noise I hear is coming from the compressor "can" -- and if so, I will attempt to get into the thing. My risk is low -- it was a near-new freezer bought from a friend, and it's given great service for >6 yrs. If I break the compressor and it needs a new one, well, that's what we'll do -- unless a new one is cheap and more energy efficient.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:56 am

BhamJohn

new compressor

Post by BhamJohn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:56 am

i've heard that the cost of a new compressor makes buying an entirely new refrigerator more attractive.