Problems with FireFox 2.0......

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Problems with FireFox 2.0......

Post by Bluefront » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:38 am

I recently upgraded to version 2.0 on several computers.....and there are a few problems I'd like to address.

I cannot find an E-Mail link to put on the navigation bar. In version 1.5, there was a link available in the options window. Nothing I can find with version 2.0.

I am getting a pop-up window on several computers now, when I try to shut down the computer. It says something to the effect "xcom event.exe". This happens infrequently, but two different computers are now doing it after version 2.0 was installed. It only happens if I have used Firefox at least once before shutting down.

Any ideas...?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:33 am

Hello Carl,

I'm using v2 and I'm not having those problems, but I am have a fair number of occasions when FireFox v2 freezes. It does have an option to Restore Previous Session, but it would be better if it didn't freeze up. :(

FireFox v2 does handle cookies better than earlier versions, but they are hopefully working on these new glitches.

nick705

Re: Problems with FireFox 2.0......

Post by nick705 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:23 am

Bluefront wrote:
I am getting a pop-up window on several computers now, when I try to shut down the computer. It says something to the effect "xcom event.exe". This happens infrequently, but two different computers are now doing it after version 2.0 was installed. It only happens if I have used Firefox at least once before shutting down.

Any ideas...?
I remember reading somewhere that FF's XPCOM interface sometimes caused this problem on systems running McAfee antivirus, but IIRC it happened even before v2 was released.

I suppose the best bet is the standard advice - back up your bookmarks, uninstall it completely and delete your profile folder, then reinstall adding any extensions one at a time...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:12 am

Hello,

Mozilla has posted v2.0.0.1 of FireFox, and time will tell if they have squashed the main bugs. Worth a try, anyway.

[Edit: Four hours so far, and zero crashes! This is a much better version of FireFox, for sure.]

[Edit 2: It been more than a day of using FireFox 2.0.0.1 -- and no freezes at all!]