Quiet Briefcase

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xilles

Quiet Briefcase

Post by xilles » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:58 am

i tried to make this thing as quiet as i could..i dont have the geforce blorb pluged in too much noise..considering this case is enclosed in metal and wood and paxmate its quite quiet compared to my other rig..also i made another comp which is also very quiet..i will post pics of that once i get some zalman hsf

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:40 am

no picture

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:48 am

Clicking on the red X seems to bring up the link.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:52 am

Nice briefocomp! 8)

Do you run this computer with the case closed or open?
It seems you have no where to exhaust the hot air out, but if you run it open, what is the blue LED fan for? (since this fan is only blowing air onto components when your case is closed

I like your supa dupa idea! :wink:

I guessed you made it so it was easy to move and also easy to change any components.

:oops: I think I get it, the blue LED fan is in suck mode, right? That makes much more sense now. :oops:

xilles

Post by xilles » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:24 am

that 80mm fan is being exhuasted..not intake..ive been trying to come up with an idea to make it more quiet..and more cool...with out the use of fans....i was thinking of getting the zalman ALcu6000 or something like that..and installing a pci slot fan exhuase and make the 80mm blue led fan intake..but it this doesnt get really hot..its actually cooler then my normal pc

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:17 am

xilles wrote:that 80mm fan is being exhuasted..not intake..ive been trying to come up with an idea to make it more quiet..and more cool...with out the use of fans....i was thinking of getting the zalman ALcu6000 or something like that..and installing a pci slot fan exhuase and make the 80mm blue led fan intake..but it this doesnt get really hot..its actually cooler then my normal pc
Don't get Zalman 6000, it is a really poor performer. I had one but the all copper version and it does not do well at all. Read MikeC review, not only is the clip weak, but it is generally poor in cooling performance even with my hand pressed right up against it.

Get yourself SLK-7 or SLK800 which should cost around the same, but perform much better. That's if you plan to change the HS. :wink:

xilles

Post by xilles » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:37 am

the zalman 6000cu is a poor performer?..how bad is it..i was going to get one for my barton 2500+...hrmmm i want some quieter then the stock hsf i already have ..but those slk are like 30bucks without fans..i dunno i probably get both

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:29 am

Check out the big heat sink comparison here. I think it spells it our pretty clearly, as the 6000 got waxed in nearly every test. Its still better than the stock cooler, don't get me wrong.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:35 pm

xilles wrote:the zalman 6000cu is a poor performer?..how bad is it..i was going to get one for my barton 2500+...hrmmm i want some quieter then the stock hsf i already have ..but those slk are like 30bucks without fans..i dunno i probably get both
I ran it on a AMD XP2200+ and temps were bad, over 50 idle / 60oC under heavy load even with plenty of case airflow. It's better than stock AMD cooler, but not by much, obviously quieter though.

Also the supplied Zalman 92mm fan which comes with the cooler, I do not recommend, if you are looking to make your system quieter. They are noisier at 5v than all the fans I have, including plenty of different generics and when compared to the best such as Panaflo's, NMB, SilenX etc.. (no Papst sorry, too many reported clicky sounds from the forums), the Zalman fan don't come close.

So it may be cheaper bundle, but I don't think you would be happy and judging from the fact your case has accoustic foam, you wan't it to be v. quiet.

Get a SLK-7 or SLK-800 and a Panaflo! it's worth the extra few bucks! :wink:

wsc

Post by wsc » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:49 pm

That briefcase computer looks pretty sweet. I was wondering where you got those two little switches you used for power and reset? They look really nice.. I've been wanting to find a good source for them. Thanks :D