Gigabyte GA-7VA (r1.0?) northbridge cooling

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Air2

Post by Air2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:23 am

hello there,

im new here and need some advice. i have a GA-7VA r1.0 mother board. this came with a fan on the northbridge heatsink.

been searching all over to find out if it is safe to remove this and replace with a zalman ZM-NB47J heatsink or similar.

at the moment i am gradually making my pc quieter. already added a zalman VF700-cu to my 6600LE 256mb agp card and a nexus 80mm front case fan. next its changing the heatsink/fan on my athlon XP2400+ and the psu.

any help and adice on the northbridge fan issue would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:38 am

First and foremost:

Welcome to SPCR!

If you have some airflow through your case, then the Zalman passive northbridge heatsinks work well. If you have room, you might even consider the larger variation: Zalman ZM-NBF47.

Replacing the northbridge fan (small, high speed, noisy and failure-prone) with a passive Zalman was one of my four best cooling and quieting mods.

The other three:
- Replace VGA fan with passive Aerocool VM-101
- Replace Antec PSU with Seasonic S12-430
- Replace CPU heatsink, first with fan-modded Zalman 7000, then a Thermalright XP-120 with Papst fan

scara

Post by scara » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Air2

I used to use a GA-7VA and successfully swapped the northbridge heatsink with an NB47.

I would suggest simply removing the fan from the original heatsink instead though. Unless your case gets exceptionally warm, you should have no problems running it this way.

Air2

Post by Air2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:40 pm

thanks for getting back to me.

i have the zalman on order from a good supplier here in helsinki. will pull the plug meantime on that noise maker screaming at me. looked at the ZM-NBF47 but dont have space, thanks for mention.

once i get this i will be changing psu for a nexus nx-3500 and (stock amd)cpu heatsink for nexus axp-3200, using artic silver 5. should be fun as remeber the hassle i had fitting it the first time.

air flow in case seems ok as system temp is 36c and cpu 54c after machine has been on for 5 hours.

thanks again

Air2

Post by Air2 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:47 pm

hi,

for those that gave me the advice all i can say is a big thank you.

new nb heatsink fitted plus fitted new psu and cpu hs&fan. the storm below my desk is now so much quieter. but i have the 'end noise' bug now. added some sound deadoning block to the old case while i had it open.

at somepoint next your it will be a new 'quieter' build. and this machine will be archived as a backup.

just hope i dont get the problem i read on another post, where the fan in their nx-3500 psu gave up.

cheers :D