Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:39 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Good article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15446032/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:19 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Let me add another strike against cigarette smoking.....

It's not the just cigarettes themselves or the inhaled smoke that can kill you. Cigarettes cause home fires. This morning another house burned to the ground here in St Louis. One person died.... Cause.....a couch caught on fire in a basement sleeping area. There is only one thing that causes couches and beds to go up in flames......

Best solution.....no smoking in the house period.

Second best solution.....smoke detectors in every room, in every area of the house, particularly if a smoker lives there. Mix smoking in bed with a few beers and you end up dead. Not a pretty picture....

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill disciplined, despotic, and useless. Liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats." - P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:01 am 

Allen Carr, the self-help smoking guru, dies of lung cancer aged 72:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6194670.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:14 am 

Smokers would probably be more receptive to the idea of quitting if they weren't harassed about it constantly.

I don't smoke but I'm very pro-smoker's rights.

That said, I don't let anybody smoke in my house unless the weather's really bad - which is hardly ever. The smell of cigarette smoke isn't particularly offensive to me but once it gets into the walls, it makes the room a lot stuffier.

And as far as Allen Carr goes, he probably would have lived longer if he hadn't smoked, but who's to say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 pm 

Bluefront wrote:

It's not the just cigarettes themselves or the inhaled smoke that can kill you. Cigarettes cause home fires.

Yes... So does candles.

I don't smoke indoors, but we do have smoke detectors in pretty much every room. And yes, they do actually work. And i know how to use different types of extinguishers, water, and "blankets". And cpr. Everyone should. I hate sleep madness. it sucks. blah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 pm 

Bluefront wrote:

It's not the just cigarettes themselves or the inhaled smoke that can kill you. Cigarettes cause home fires. This morning another house burned to the ground here in St Louis. One person died.... Cause.....a couch caught on fire in a basement sleeping area. There is only one thing that causes couches and beds to go up in flames......

Best solution.....no smoking in the house period.

Second best solution.....smoke detectors in every room, in every area of the house, particularly if a smoker lives there. Mix smoking in bed with a few beers and you end up dead. Not a pretty picture....
nici wrote:
Yes... So does candles. .
Good point. One could also argue, that it's the alcohol that's causing the fires.

But I generally agree with Bluefront here. Unlike passive smoking, these fires can cause collateral damage and hurt non smokers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:16 pm 
SPCR Reviewer

Bluefront wrote:
There is only one thing that causes couches and beds to go up in flames......

Really, really hot sex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:35 am 

Devonavar wrote:
Bluefront wrote:
There is only one thing that causes couches and beds to go up in flames......

Really, really hot sex?

Thanks! :mrgreen: You made my morning a little less crappy :P

I agree with both of you that smoking in bed is a bad idea, but smoking inside is not dangerous by itself. Well, at least not more dangerous than outside.. Just don't smoke where you might fall asleep.

And get some damn smoke detectors. At least here they are required by law... and still a lot of people don't have them, and some who do have them take out the batteries because they might beep while you make food... :roll: smart. If you sleep, you wont wake up to the smoke, you will suffocate. I'd rather pay a few euros for some smoke detectors than die because i didn't wake up.