DC-DC Converters?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Howie

DC-DC Converters?

Post by Howie » Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:27 am

Does anyone know where I can get a ATX-wired DC-DC converter like those used in the Morex and Cubid mini-ITX cases? I'd like to fit my VIA EPIA board into an existing small case (Sun 411), but there is no room for a full-size PSU. If I can get a DC-DC board that will fit (they look to be much smaller), then an external laptop PSU would do the trick just fine, and I'd be totally fan-free, too.

Ideally, a UK/European reseller would be great! :)

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:13 pm

Looking for the Details of the 55w mini-ATX dc-dc converter

Open frame PSU deal?

These two threads probably have what you're after.

And BTW, welcome Howie to this nice haunt. You have a neat website. I think a post to Site Feedback is in order concerning WikiWiki's. Could be the perfect extension to some of the activity in these forums. Good stuff.

Howie

Post by Howie » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:06 am

Thanks for that! I'm *sure* I searched for 'DC-DC' before I posted! :)

I saw the open-frame PSU before - it's still too big. I'm using a FlexATX PSU currently which is huge compared to the space I have in the case:

Internal: http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/data/ ... 11hd-3.jpg

External: http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/data/sunpix/ipx3.jpg

With a flash disk, DC-DC converter and the existing PSU, I'm fairly sure I can be completely silent, and very small too - the cases arrive in the next few days.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:20 pm

Cool system Howie. I've been looking at cooking up full blown PC's in micro/portable/waterproof configs for years now. I have an eye to make a 12v, small, fully waterproof system for marine/hydrographic survey work. Laptops suck (for marine anyways), and the new desknote things are still not quite the real thing. So do let me know if you find the right 12v PSU.

I have extreme doubts about that Morex one though. I bet dollars to donuts that it doesn't regulate the 12v, and would have bad/catastophic trouble with much less than pristine regulated 12.0vdc, which is what the external transformer/wart cranks out. 12v in real life is 10-16v, and you need a true low-voltage input DC-DC switcher to eat that up and make proper 12.0-5.0-3.3 for a computer. Judging by the close-ups of that board on CaseOutlet, it ain't what we're after. Even if you only ever plug it in, I would still want something in between my neato weePC and the BigBadOutsideWorld.

I've been watching the bits and bobs getting better and better as the years go. YAGNI (XP) is a very sound principal when it comes to buying hardware though, so I really haven't played with the toys much. Just window shopping yet. And there's ever more druelsome stuff behind that glass each year. I started out with a C64, so although I have no fear of hights, I am acutely aware of the dizzying ones this industry has reached.

Have fun, Crisspy.

PS's:
- thanks to thingy.com I tapped into the PPR Wiki, and had my first big intro to Xtreme Programming. WOW, excellent brain feed. Even spotted a few comments from you :) That wiki is an astounding place that will take me more than just a little while to grasp. It would make a good seed for an AI.
-waiting patiently for your DX BD port, it's still my fave after all these years :) had the BD images running pretty smoothly uder emu a few weeks back, but it needs the old atari joystick to really go good.

Howie

Post by Howie » Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:48 am

Crisspy,

You may interested in this then - http://home.attbi.com/~zootjeff/

It's a tad expensive for my liking (US$150), but it does run a Mini-ITX board from a car battery (8-15VDC, depending on what the car is doing). Same guy also makes a nice shutdown timer, so that the PC doesn't eat your battery if you forget to shut it down.

I agree about the PPR Wiki - there are a lot of smart people there :) You might also like the MeatballWiki (http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl) - which is more about the nature of Wiki's and Web Communities.

Latest version of DX BD is actually on the Dreamcast - I *still* want to get one of these two finished!

Is that marine geo or bio or just fishing? :)

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:08 am

We do - not nearly often enough - marine hydrographic survey work.

in the feild:
-digital survey transit + fancy 20km2mm laser distance meter + surveyor = accurate position of boat
-900mhz/128kbaud spread spectrum radio modems, send position to boat
-computer on boat Husky 50mhz 486dx / 16mb ram + 64mb flash + dos 3.2 + custom sounding / data collection software
-digital depth sounder hooked to computer
-small inflatable boat and motor, I drive back and forth and back and forth... many many times.

then back to the office (home):
-run it all through custom pre-processing software
-run it into cad/mapping software
-out pops the weasle -oops- bottom map! contours, spot depths, profiles, etc.

I tech the hardware, do the programming (PowerBasic 3.5 for dos), do the data processing & most of the map drafting, run the boat, and I'm the rod-man. Just a few hats :)

We do shallow water (<100m) sounding for harbour dredging, deep sea shipping ports (do they run aground?), submarine electric/telephone cables, pipes and outfalls. Fun work what little we get of it, and pays well.

Seems like we are both dos guys. Thanks for the links.