What do YOU want for the holidays?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nici

Post by nici » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:57 pm

I have an S3 IS, and it is a pretty nice camera 8) I did a shitload of research before bying it though, www.dcviews.com has a huge archive of reviews linked to good DC review sites :)

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:54 am

croddie wrote:I want... people to stop referring to Christmas as "the holidays". The holidays... nudge nudge, wink wink! It's inane.
i think you misunderstand this term, it's not meant to replace christmas. it's to indicate the multiple holidays in december... often just xmas + new years, but can also include hanukah and kwanzaa etc. basically it's a time when a lot of people get off work and do special things, so it's not just one day.

back on topic... what do i want? hmmm, Sizzle's slippers look pretty cool! not sure walking in them would be much fun, though.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am

I want Christmas shopping season to just go away.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:03 pm

I want Christmas shopping season to just go away.
It means cheap prices in January. It's not all bad.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:52 pm

Devonavar wrote:I want Christmas shopping season to just go away.
ha, try working at a Hallmark store in a mall during the Christmas season... then you'll really know what xmas hell is :D

thankfully that was a long time ago and years of therapy have managed to get me by it. though occasionally i still wake from sweaty nightmares with the smell of scented candles in the air and fleeting images of old women fighting each other over the last Precious Moments ornament :shock:

nici

Post by nici » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:43 am

flyingsherpa wrote: thankfully that was a long time ago and years of therapy have managed to get me by it. though occasionally i still wake from sweaty nightmares with the smell of scented candles in the air and fleeting images of old women fighting each other over the last Precious Moments ornament :shock:
You forgot the wonderful music... :wink:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:19 am

ha, try working at a Hallmark store in a mall during the Christmas season... then you'll really know what xmas hell is
What about being forced to watch the Hallmark Channel?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:22 am

You forgot the wonderful music...
What about the yule log burning endlessly on TV? And now it's in HiDef!

derekva

Hmmm....

Post by derekva » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:43 am

Well, supposedly my wife is getting me an Opteron 175...since I got her a Zune (which she, bless her heart, found before I had wrapped it, so now she gets slippers instead).

For whomever it was who wanted a camera, if you can swing ~ $700 right now, I highly recommend a Nikon D50. Kits Camera has been advertising it with two lenses. We got one (prior to the sale, crud) and we love it. Much better than our old camera.

-Derek

p.s. you could always ask for / give charitable donations in peoples' names. I've done that in the past and may do that this year as well.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:12 pm

well i wont get either of them, but what i WANT is:

Black Macbook
XFX 7950GT (passive)

fmriguy

Post by fmriguy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:42 pm

darthan wrote:fmriguy, if you get the E3Cs (good headphones, those) be careful if you have pets, especially dogs. See, things that go in your ears start to collect earwax, and something nasty like that is naturally irresistibly tasty to dogs. I had my pair for only seven weeks... :cry:
As a matter of fact, I DO have a dog and I'll definitely keep that in mind. She's almost 13 though, so she's well past her chewing phase. Luckily she's never been that much of a chewer...I've wasted a lot of money on chew toys that she just buries. Too bad about your phones! :(
Rory Buszan wrote:I'd go for the Porter Cable 690, or up it to the 890 (which I personally have). If you already have a table saw and some electrical knowledge, you can learn to design and build your own high-fidelity loudspeakers, as I have been doing for the last 7 years. The router is used with a spiral-saw bit and circle jig to cut perfect circular holes, as well as to create the counter-bore for recessing the speaker drivers.

Forget the earbuds unless you already have a great set of speakers. I don't like putting things in my ears for sound -- I like to be pummeled by waves of it from the outside. You'll never experience the visceral effect of deep bass from a set of earbuds.
I think i'll just be going with the 690 because I don't even have a place to work wood other than my porch! I've really been working on getting a collection of basic power tools until I have more space to get the big boys. Last year was a Bosch jigsaw and the year before a makita drill.

As for the earbuds, I'm definitely with you in that I prefer loudspeakers. I have a set of Spendor S100's that I love. The trick is, I travel a lot and I'm sick and tired of listening to my crap ipod phones and my larger sony circumaural phones are too bulky. Hopefully the E3c's will do the trick!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:12 pm

I want to thank all of your for not making me share Jeri Ryan. :shock:

Longwalker

Post by Longwalker » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:40 pm

God-like power.

Failing that, for the world's religious fanatics--Christian, Muslim and Jewish--to realize that blasphemy is a victimless crime and that they've been fighting over a shared delusion.

Failing that, I'll settle for a 20" LP2065 LCD.