Computer wont boot help!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Computer wont boot help!

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:53 am

My videocard fan was dying so maybe it went out during the night and card overheated? When I press the power button on the computer I dont get fan spin up or anything. Motherboard light is on, I tried a different power supply and still no change. Could it be that the videocard is dead or the computer senses that the fan died and wont cut on as a safety feature? Or do I have a bad cord or something? Or could the mobo be bad somehow? I dont know what to replace.

Recap push power button nothing happens.
Not the power supply.
Any Ideas?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:57 am

Hello,

If the video card is dead, then the computer won't boot, and since it's fan was decrepit, it would seem to be the prime suspect. Can you just stick another video card in it, and see it that fixes it?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:21 pm

yea that would be great but I dont have another one lying around. What would be a good vid card for under $50. that is agp. I wanted to build a new system soon anyways cause my 9800pro wasnt cutting in for new games so I dont want to drop alot into this system.
What cards should I be looking for in the <$50. range.
Also If I take the card out and try to boot would the fans spin up or will it just sit there like a dead fish without a video card?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Hello,

Even an old PCI card would let you test the system, but it (obviously) wouldn't test the AGP slot. Here's what NewEgg has for less than $50.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 pm

Yea I was asking for advice on budget cards. I can tell you all kinds of stuff about high end gaming cards but I really dont know what model's are better in the budget end. What is the best card I can get for under $50 anyone.
I wish I had a backup card lying around but I dont

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:51 pm

Why have you ruled your PSU out of the equation, just because the mobo has a light doesnt mean the PSU is working properly, only that the +5VSB is working. If your PSU is making a very high pitched noise your PSU is most likely fried.

The best test that you can do right now without another graphics card is:

Pull the Power Cable.

Disconnect all drives.

Leave the power cable out for 10 minutes (some mobos are a bit funny about starting up in these kinds of circumstances).

Turn the PC on, it should spin the fans, and then the num-lock, caps-lock and scroll-lock keys should all flash at the same time just once (you might get bleeps, ignore them), try pressing the caps-lock key a few times if the light goes on/off your mobo is probably OK.

If the system does not start, do the same thing, AND this time take your graphics card out.

If the system does not start its either your PSU or mobo (and could be your graphics card as well).

Let me know how you get on.

Andy

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Perhaps the 256MB 9600xt if you get one on ebay or whatever.

or not:
9600XT (128Mb Version):

Core 500
Memory: 300
Pipes: 4

9800Pro:

Core: 380
Memory: 340
Pipes: 8

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:12 pm

yea it was the video card. Got a chaintec 7600gs. It has a tiny 40 or maybe 60mm fan on it and looks like its copper. But it doesnt get hot at all. Its definately faster then the 9800pro was. I went into San Andreas and maxed everything out and it still runs super fast, no noticeable lag. Im gonna test it with doom 3 next. The fan must not be running too fast because I cant hear it over my other fans which are all turned all the way down. Sitting at the desk I can only slightly hear my crt buzz slightly and my samsung1614 seeking.