Constant disk access on Windows XP SP2

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JustBlue

Constant disk access on Windows XP SP2

Post by JustBlue » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:26 am

A couple of week ago I built my first media PC. One of the main requirements for this computer was that it should be silent. So far I’ve been testing different software to get the best media PC functionality and finally ended up using Media Portal with a few plugins and tweaking some Windows settings.

Leaning back on the couch ready to enjoy my new media center I discovered that there is disk access every few seconds even when the system is idling (no media center activity). This is totally unacceptable as disk activity generates both noise and HDD led flash (additionally there should be no reason for the constant disk access).

Time for some diagnostics.

1) Check that the windows indexing function is turned off.
- Yes, it is!

2) Download and install Process Explorer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... lorer.mspx

3) Discover which process is the culprit.
- lsass.exe
- csrss.exe
- Div. Avast Home Edition services (my antivirus solution)

Assuming that lsass and csrss activity was caused by the antivirus activity I stopped all antivirus processes, set them to manual start and rebooted. Result…
… no antivirus processes causing disk access, but still disk access from lsass.exe and csrss.exe.

After googling a bit I discover this gem.

http://malektips.com/xpwtw0015.html

Basically telling me that Windows optimizes my harddisk whenever the computer is idle.

I download and install Tweak UI, uncheck "Optimize hard disk when idleâ€

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:01 am

2) Do any of you know of an antivirus solution that does not cause disk access on idle? Preferably free.
AVG Anti-Virus (grisoft.com). Latest version is 7.5.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:54 am

Let it blink. What does it matter if a light blinks?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:09 am

vertigo wrote:Let it blink. What does it matter if a light blinks?
A randomly blinking light can be almost as distracting as a loud noise, especially for an HTPC. But the solution is simple, just unplug the HDD LED.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

I just want to know what causes it,my windows has the same led blinking every time.

But my other pc does it also, and the only thing it has connected to the ide controller is a cdrom drive.
The led is just blinking every 10-20 secs.
(the disk drive is connected to a promise controller, with it's own led (disconnected)).
I haven't had the time to test it, but maybe the cdrom drive is causing this behaviour?

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm

I've noticed this on a recent build with an nVidia MB chipset (MSI) - fresh XP-SP2 install with no tweaking. The drive light flashs like a heartbeat - about once a second. On an old Dell GX240 SFF (P4 2MHz) which has a relatively fresh XP-SP2 install, the light is dark for minutes at a time. Neither have anti-virus.

Although I don't know the precise details, this light is controlled by the MB - not necessarily the drive. The MB might be manipulating the signal somehow...

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:26 pm

Soooooooo, why don't you just disconnect the HD LED? Personally, I don't usually plug in that one anyways. How often do I need to see that the HD is working?

And why are you worried about Anti-Virus on an HTPC? I would assume you wouldn't be installing too many applications once it's up and running. And installing bad software is where most viruses/malware come from these days. So the possibility of a virus infection seems rather low to me.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:19 am

BillyBuerger wrote:Soooooooo, why don't you just disconnect the HD LED?
Well, I just want to know what my computer is doing, nothing else.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:07 am

It's vaguely like unplugging the tach in your car. It isn't needed for general operation but it's good to know what's going on - it can be a warning of something unusual.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:26 pm

If you have a SATA HDD, you could try to change the "write caching and safe removal" settings in the device manager. In the device manager, double-click on your HDD to access its properties, then under the "Policies" tab, make sure that "Optimize for quick removal" is selected. By default, the other option is selected, allowing Windows to optimize the drive in background when the system is idle.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:08 am

Disabling write-caching can result in plenty more thrashing. The noise-penalty might not be worth it.

Virtual

More frequent disk lights

Post by Virtual » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:59 am

Have the same problem on a brand new installation. (XP Pro, SATA HD, SATA DVD). No process or file can be indicated. The HD led is flickering about every second!?

The suggestion of turning off the disk LED (and similar approached) is not really serious, or is it? Would you turn off (unplug) your empty gastank indicator? What about the sirens when the message "This spacestation will selfdestruct in T minus 3 minutes!"?

I also "just" would like to know!

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:15 am

I put a piece of blue masking tape over the light and cut it so it just covered the LED. This makes the light so dim that it does not bother me but I can still tell it is blinking. As for the random blinks, yeah, mine does that too. I tried to figure out what it is doing and just gave up.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:48 am

The suggestion of turning off the disk LED (and similar approached) is not really serious, or is it?
I was absolutely serious. If you want to know if it is reading, put your head next to the case.

Hmm, my memory must be bad, I seem to recall suggesting that...

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:17 am

vertigo wrote: If you want to know if it is reading, put your head next to the case.
That is not necessarily true. If the hard disk is reading from it's cache or when it is reading from the places it heads are already positioned at, then it wouldn't make a sound, but it is reading / writing something.

Therefore the sound of the hard disk is not a good measurement of disk activity.
That is exact the reason they invented the led ;)

Virtual

No drive access noise

Post by Virtual » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:24 am

"Put your ear to the case.."
My case is on the floor, and I do not need the exercise. I do not constantly watch and aggravate myself about the behaviour of the LED! It is not the light what bothers me. It is that I do not know what it does, why it does it, and that it is so hard to find information about it. It may be only the tip of an iceberg, and your system might be slower in many other ways. The light is only a symptom not the real problem.
I have an MSI K9N motherboard with an NVIDIA (ver. 5.10.2600.666 - "not the best of signs!"!?) driver for the SATA drives. That is my next line of research.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:08 am

I have an Epox NF4. I've found the the HDD light illuminating every few seconds is actually caused by the optical drive. My optical drive is SATA-based, so when I get tired of the light and I'm not using the optical drive, I can use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' to stop the drive from lighting up the LED. Now if you have a PATA optical drive, try physically disconnecting it and seeing if the same behavior occurs.

Good luck.

nick705

Re: No drive access noise

Post by nick705 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:48 am

Virtual wrote:I do not constantly watch and aggravate myself about the behaviour of the LED! It is not the light what bothers me. It is that I do not know what it does, why it does it, and that it is so hard to find information about it. It may be only the tip of an iceberg, and your system might be slower in many other ways. The light is only a symptom not the real problem.
Mine does the same thing - I've investigated every possibility I can think of, and it's some process I can't identify associated with csrss.exe writing a few bytes to the disk every second or so.

In the end I just gave it up as a bad job and went to the pub. I'm sure the tiny amount of activity isn't harming the HDD in any way, and I very much doubt it's hurting performance, but I agree with you it's annoying not knowing what it is... :(