Bluefront's Monster Fan Project.....

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Bluefront's Monster Fan Project.....

Post by Bluefront » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:04 am

Lately I've been depressed because of all the really big fans and cases becoming common. Well I determined to go these guys one better...with the biggest computer fan ever. This guy on Ebay had this 450mm fan pretty reasonable...it's a Thermaltake or SilenX, he said. It blows 950cfm @ 24db. according to the mfg specs.....

I got a case adapter on the way from NewEgg.....but I've got one problem. Should I make this a positive or negative pressure case? Oh.....what PSU should I get? I was thinking maybe 1500W. Any ideas? :lol:

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:13 am

DAMN!!!!!...... ummmm well i would do positivecase seeing whith that cfm you can get some real cooling done.... are you useing it as a hsf or a case fan... in think just for the hell of it u shound put it as a hsf

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:21 am

or maybe you should make it in to the side door .... take a side panel and cut a hole big enough for it and and use it as an exaust..... hope you can find a fan grill big enough..... wouldnt want my finger to slip into that fan

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I warned Felger Carbon he would eventually end up with a fan bigger than his case...looks like you beat him to it! :lol:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:40 am

When I tried it negative pressure, it sucked the MB out and blew it down the hall.....so I guess positive pressure is the way to go. I guess I need to slow it down a little. Think a Fanmate will be ok?

And I'm having problems with the heatsink fins.....they keep disappearing. Do they make heatsinks without any fins?

I can't wait to see what Felger Carbon will do to best this one..... :lol:

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:10 pm

what does it plug in to a 240v outlet? :lol: .... a fanmate might do it.... i can get you of those resthrostat (or how ever you spell it) knobs that are on a stick welder....

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:20 pm

No it's a 12V fan, but the start-up draw is 15A, maybe 15W.....I forget. I guess the 90W PSU in this old case won't quite be enough. For now I'm running it off a truck battery. Humm....maybe solar power. I could set it in a window and it could do double duty as a window fan. Right......

Damn....this last Christmas present is making my head spin. Opps. Back to the fridge...

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:52 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Looking at that pic made me laugh out loud :D

Maybe a little fan grill is required, and some anchoring bolts to the case to keep it from falling over if the fan starts spinning with 950 CFM.

york

Post by york » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:16 pm

If only it came in Orange, Bummer.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:52 pm

ur wasting ur time, that guard will restrict airflow too much to be of any use. u'd be better off sticking ur pc to it and fixing it to a wall.. let the spinning motion cool it.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:20 pm

jaganath wrote:I warned Felger Carbon he would eventually end up with a fan bigger than his case...
Actually I started out with a fan bigger than my case - I have two 20" floor fans and until recently I had never been able to mount one in my Evercase E3505. I have finally made the necessary breakthru!

Experimentation with Klein bottles and hypercubes showed increased promise. What's needed is an interior volume much larger than traditionally defined by the external dimensions. Finally, complete success: hyperdodecahedrons!

Now I'll show that blue charlaton what a real big fan is! And I'll mount it in a USB thumb drive! :P

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:25 pm

I'm getting visions of Escher, Mobius and rotating tesseracts

Suddenly, Doctor Who's tardis doesn't look close to impressive anymore.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:12 am

Kidding aside.....this particular 12v fan is from a Jeep, the result of a big recall. The composite blades sometimes fracture, with predictable results.

I'd start to worry about this exact problem if computer fans get much larger. I can see myself patching a hole in the case made by a flying blade.... :lol:

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:53 am

Bluefront wrote:I'd start to worry about this exact problem if computer fans get much larger. I can see myself patching a hole in the case made by a flying blade.... :lol:
Kidding aside... if the 220mm fan is run at the same blade tip velocity as a 120mm fan, the noise level would be 6dBA higher and the CFM 4 times higher. In fact, 220mm fans in SPCR cases will be run with linear tip velocities substantially lower than the 120mm fans we're already using. So it's the holes from flying 120mm fan blades you need to worry about. Seriously!

Even Mike Chin seems to think that because the fan is big, it must consume lotsa power and vibrate like mad. Uh uh, just the opposite. My fan off a Kandalf side panel is rated at 12V .3A, exactly the same as a YL D12SL-12... and my fan will commonly be turned down more than the YL when used in exhaust fan duty.