What's the trick with the Scythe Ninja?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chaosgeisterchen

What's the trick with the Scythe Ninja?

Post by chaosgeisterchen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:05 pm

Good evening,

I am finally ready to build up my first machine on my own and so far I was rather successful. But, after two attempts, I see myself in a quite desperate situation. The coolor won't fit properly.

I got an GIGABYTE GA-965SP-S3 mainboard and the menioned cooler. I can plug it onto the board and fasten it, but if I put my case in upright position and carry it from the desk to the place where it should finally stand, it is no matter how careful I act, the cooler will certainly again become loose and therefore useless. So - are there any tricks how to get the Scythe Ninja to hold properly on a Intel Sockel 775 mainboard?

Thanks in advance for suggestions - screenshots will follow, if they are of any help.

regards,

cg

PS:

Specs:
Antec P150 case
GIGABYTE GA-965SP-S3 mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E6300 CPU
Corsair XMS2-6400 DDR2-800 2x 1024 MB
MSI NX-6200 128 TDI graphics card
D-Link DWL-G520+ wireless NIC
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB SATA-HDD, 7200 rpm, 16 MB cache
LiteOn DVD-RW drive (16xDVD-R,48xCD-R)

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:15 pm

what do you mean it comes loose? like the fittings pop off the board and its hanging off the motherboard? or do you mean it will slide around a bit on top of the cpu?

if its the latter, thats normal. you'll almost always have a little play if you put preassure against the sides of a heatsink. as long as its making proper down preassure its fine.

if its popping out and hangin off, you may need to remove the motherboard and verify its clipping properly all the way through the board from behind the board. possibly use a tool to make sure its expanded and clipped properly on the back.

chaosgeisterchen

Post by chaosgeisterchen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:56 pm

Aris wrote: possibly use a tool to make sure its expanded and clipped properly on the back.
THIS would definitely solve the problem. But can it be done without destroying the adapter?

The former of the cases you described was the case - it is plopping out the motherboard and hanging loosely, only half-fixed on 2 of 4 contacts.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:09 pm

yeah it can be done without destroying it, you just have to take the motherboard out of the case to do it. when you push down on the 4 plastic pins, its supposed to seperate the hooks and grab the board, but its a little poorly made, you just have to help it out a little by using a small tool to seperate the hooks on the back of the board.