Imageshack: what's the business model?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

Imageshack: what's the business model?

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:04 am

Like a lot of SPCR folk, I've been using Imageshack to post my images. It's free, and at first there were no strings attached. Then they started optionally asking me to register. Now they ask me to register, period - and I can't get the results of uploading (the URL) unless I do.

This makes me worry some. I don't mind registering at Newegg because I understand their business model - their motive for requiring registration. I understand where Newegg's income comes from.

But I don't understand where Imageshack's money comes from, and that worries me. TANSTAFL - as Robert A. Heinlein wrote often, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Are there alternatives to Imageshack, ones where the financial aspect is more transparent?

qviri

Re: Imageshack: what's the business model?

Post by qviri » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:20 am

Felger Carbon wrote:Are there alternatives to Imageshack, ones where the financial aspect is more transparent?
Buying your own webspace would work pretty well.

Business model? I dunno. Probably ads, maybe with a perspective of a youtube-style buyout. I'm sure Google would love to know what you've been uploading, how often, and where.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:28 am

AFAIK, they use the same bussiness model as wikipedia.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:23 am

mathias wrote:AFAIK, they use the same bussiness model as wikipedia.
Lies, Inc.?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:44 am

qviri wrote:
mathias wrote:AFAIK, they use the same business model as wikipedia.
Lies, Inc.?
Wikipedia is not full of lies. Considering it's totally free at the point of use it's actually a pretty fantastic resource.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:05 pm

If Imageshack gets money from ads, they don't need me to register. The only motivation to get me to register is to somehow convert that information into money. Newegg, for instance, converts the registration into money in a way that's benign to me. I can't think of any benign way Imageshack can do so. :x

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Just register under a fake username and throw-away email address. I've been doing this forever.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:33 pm

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Obviously I'm taking a wild guess here, but I can see a few ways how registration could be beneficial to them.

- less random people will use it, so reduce hardware needs (don't need to upgrade as soon). This translates to reduced operating costs.

- reduce liability with copyright infringement. Easier to track down the person if there is a court order to do so.

- the old "you need to uncheck this box when you register or we'll sell your contact info to God-knows-who" marketing ploy.

- get better statistics on usage of the site to help sell ad space.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:25 am

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 am

btw, i can still use imageshack without registering... not sure what the problem is.

but mainly i use photobucket, which required registering.

they send no spam
require no personal information

really all the account does is give you a nice overview page of all the pictures you've ever uploaded, and of course it cuts down on the amount of pictures uploaded (if you're just uploading a single pic youre not going to bother registering, you'll just use imageshack instead).

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:05 pm

Imageshack charges you money if you want to do bulk uploads. They also have a toolbar they'd like you to use... :P