Scythe Ninja and AMD x2 don't seem to fit? Fast help please!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeRocker

Scythe Ninja and AMD x2 don't seem to fit? Fast help please!

Post by MikeRocker » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:58 am

Hello, I'm in the middle of doing my first build, consisting of Antec P180, Asus A8V Deluxe, and AMD x2 4800. I'm trying to install a Scythe Ninja heatsink, but it doesn't seem to fit...when attatched to the 939 mounting bracket, the bottom of the Ninja protrudes a bit beneath the bottom of the bracket, and the CPU also protrudes a bit above the bracket (when I set the bracket over the CPU without the heatsink attatched). So when the Ninja is assembled with the bracket and set on the CPU, it sits up too high for the retaining clips to latch. It seems that in order to latch correctly, the CPU and the bottom of the Ninja should both be flush with the bracket, or that one should protrude a bit while the other doesn't quite reach the lip of the bracket. I hope this makes sense. If anyone can help, I'll be very grateful!

Thank you.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:48 am

I'm a little confused as to what the problem is, so bear with me...

The latch for the clip that's screwed into the Ninja *should* be somewhat above the black plastic frame which is attached to the motherboard - you have to pull the clip down to lock it into the motherboard frame on both sides, thus putting the clip under tension and ensuring the Ninja is firmly mounted on the CPU.

If you look at the mounting instructions (also at http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/0 ... njaAM2.pdf), diagram 3 and 4 show the before-and-after position of the metal clip.

Sorry if I'm missing anything, hope this helps.

MikeRocker

Post by MikeRocker » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks for the response, I guess the best way to state it is that in order to get the Ninja 939 clip to lock down with the bottom of the heatsink on top of the CPU, it's going to take a LOT of force, and I don't know if that's correct....I don't want to crush or damage the CPU (especially since they're not making them anymore!). The bottom of the heat sink sits below the bracket and the top of the CPU sits above the bracket, so if I press down on the latches, it's going to put a lot of force on the CPU. I don't know how fragile CPUs are or if they are designed for all of that force. Are CPUs supposed to be mashed down REALLY hard by the heatsink? Thanks!

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:59 pm

It's supposed to put a fairly hefty amount of force on the CPU, yes. That's why most modern warm CPUs have a hefty metal plate covering the "actual" die of the CPU, to avoid the die being crushed during HS installation (as well as to act as a heat spreader). It wasn't so long ago that some P4 heatsinks were known to actually visible bend the motherboard when installed - not *that* was kinda freaky, heh.

You will find the Ninja will put a good amount of pressure on the CPU and mounting bracket - it's a big sink, so you want to be sure it's gonna stay put and make good contact. Best advice I can give if you're a little worried about it is to install the sink with the motherboard outside the case, on a firm flat table. Try not to rock the sink too much while you're pulling the clips down, and don't panic =). With the heat spreader on the CPU, and with it locked into the Socket939, you're gonna have to do something seriously wrong to damage the CPU. Follow the instructions and all will be well =).

--Tom

EDIT - be sure to install the metal backplate on the rear of the motherboard, too. That prevents the board bending too much =).

frazered

Post by frazered » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:20 pm

sounds like the rev b version of the ninja

this uses the stock backplate, you do also have to press pretty hard to get the second clip into place, I was not comfortable mounting whilst the board was in the case as it was flexing

best to mount whilst out of the case so you can apply the force more evenly