Best sequence for dual-core fixes and nvidia drivers

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

granite

Best sequence for dual-core fixes and nvidia drivers

Post by granite » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 pm

As you can see from my signature block, information and opinion from the SPCR influenced my choices when I build this system. I originally had an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice but replaced it with a dual-core Athlon 64 4600 X2 while they were still available. This new CPU and a bad experience with IE7 have left me with a need to re-install Windows XP. This current build evolved over time so my memory of the current driver configuration is fuzzy as best.

My questions:

(1) Is there a "best" sequence to install: Windows XP SP2, dual-core fixes nforce4 platform drivers, nvidia graphics drivers, Windows XP updates, etc.?

(2) What dual-core fixes should be applied?

(3) Which versions of the nvidia drivers are "best"? i.e stable

(4) Which optional drivers component (eg. nforce4 IDE driver) should I skip?

Quiet and stable are the goals. I don't overclock but I do some gaming (BF2). Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 pm

I have a very similar setup to yours, except I have the 3700+ single core processor. What are the problems with the dual core processors? I was thinking of upgrading, but not if it means sacrificing reliability.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:06 am

the only thing i did when upgrading to my dual core (same mobo as you) was apply service pack 2, which is required for dual-core CnQ. Oh, yeah, I always just use the newest nVidia drivers

kater

Post by kater » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 am

when i upgraded from 3200 to x2 3800 there were absolutely no problems. service pack 2 is the way to go, like already noted, and you might want to download the newest amd drivers for dual core cpus - everything's on their site. also, check your mobo bios, but i guess it's pretty fresh. nvidia - i think it's safest to go with the latest whql (or sth like this) approved drivers. i reinstalled my system a few times since i upgraded and didn'y pay attention to the sequence and had no trouble with it.

granitefire

Post by granitefire » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm

I had moderate stability problems from the after the switch to X2. The AMD fix, the MS hotfix, and the updated nvidia display drivers reduced them significantly. However, the system is less "smooth" than it was without the X2. It should have been at least somewhat smoother.

Now that I have the opportunity to "do it right", I was looking for specifics. I will try things in the sequence I listed in my question, with the lastest stable drivers however I was looking for more certainty.

Thanks to all who replied. I do appreciate the time people take to reply.

Still looking for better information. I'll probably break down and do the build the weekend after next.

kater

Post by kater » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:15 am

i nevere personally checked amd, ms and nvidia official info on their fixes, patches etc - might be worth a try. who knows, maybe they do have to say sth about x2 possible issues

if i remember correctly, the sequence in my case was

1) windows already with service pack 2. no other ms patches or upgrades were installed
2) amd dual core drivers
3) nividia drivers

after windows and before amd (steps 1 and 2) i usually and mostly do newest directx, java & the usual system related thingies

also, i remember the first time i switched to x2 i didn't even reinstall the system - i just switched the chips and installed fresh amd drivers - and all was fine

i guess you will need to try it all out yourself and if you're still being pestered by stability issues, that maybe you'll have to look for the cause somewhere else (psu, mobo?)

ayemooth

Post by ayemooth » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:24 pm

I don't really think the order matters that much - after all, if you decide that, say, CPU drivers should be installed before chipset drivers, and then a new CPU driver is released you're going to end up with a CPU driver that was installed later than the chipset drivers. Unless you reinstall the chipset drivers afterwards, that is.

I chose my order based on speed - installing the chipset (including storage) and video drivers first made the install of SP2 and all the Windows updates run more quickly, so I did it that way round. Then 18 months later I bought a dual-core CPU, installed the CPU driver and all was fine.