router problem with SPCR?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

geofelt

router problem with SPCR?

Post by geofelt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:10 am

Several months ago, I could not access silentpcreview.com. The message was that I was not connected to the internet(i was), I had typed in the wrong web address(I didn't) or that the site was down(how could I know?) I tried my backup machine through the same router, with no success. I have been using IE7 which may be part of the problem. No other sites that I tried failed. Thinking that one of my favorite sites had been abandoned, I stopped checking. For whatever reason, I had occasion to unplug my router (linksys BEFW11S4) and cable modem. Later, I checked spcr again, and it responded. Why??
This week, the problem happened again. The process of powering down the router and cable modem worked again! The question is what is going on, and why. Is there something unique with SPCR's web site? Is there something suspect in my router? What else could be going on?

nzimmers

could be a number of issues

Post by nzimmers » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:24 pm

having to cycle to power on small routers is pretty common, I usually do it about once a week.

probably the most likely explination is that over time, the router fills up it's tiny amount of ram, and then starts having problem with opening new TCP connections. Consumer routers are lousy at properly closing connections, thus a reboot has that precise effect and it works very well.

if you do any kind of P2P file sharing, you will definately see this happen alot - a program like Emule will open 400 or more connections and most routers have a cap of 512 or so...

when the router is all clogged up like that, any site that is just a tiny bit slow to respond can make the router think it's not there

I normally use a linksys wrt54g, very good router........but I am putting together a server/NAS/firewall with an intel chip, that that will be able to handle thousands and thousands of connections with no problems

geofelt

Post by geofelt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Thank you for the reply. I am relieved to hear that this is normal. It brings up another question, however. Would a newer router such as the linksys wrt54g be a worthwhile replacement? For the occasional wireless use, I am happy with "b" speeds. For internet use, I want as fast as possible. I do not download heavy volumes, just the occasional software update. I normally have only one machine that is connected to the router running.

nzimmers

Post by nzimmers » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:27 pm

Unfortunately the current WRT54G's are terrible, linksys reduced the onboard memory even further and it should be avoided.

I can recommend the Buffalo WBR2-G54S, it has alot of available memory and is a very nice router and ....if you are curious, it works well with the DD-WRT firmware (linux fork of the original).

more info at dd-wrt.com