Earth-PC startup concentrates on "green" computing

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

padmewan

Earth-PC startup concentrates on "green" computing

Post by padmewan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:22 am

A Boston-area firm is selling "Earth-PC" and "Earth-Server" computers for smaller firms concerned about energy efficiency:
Labandibar [the entrepreneur] believes the machines emerging from her Southie shop today can compete with anything the big companies can offer. In addition, the green machines from Dell and HP are mainly targeted at high-end business customers who face soaring energy costs because of the high numbers of machines they operate; the companies don't yet offer energy-saving technologies across their entire product range. By contrast, Tech Networks mainly sells its efficient machines to smaller firms.
-- Hub firm rises to challenge of green computing (Boston Globe)

Apparently, a big part of the savings comes from higher-efficiency power supplies, for which the firm gets $5 rebates from the local power company ($10 for servers).

The computers also are configured by default with aggressive power-saving settings (e.g. going to sleep).

drees

Post by drees » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 am

The firm selling these "Earth-PC" and "Earth-Server" PCs is called "Tech Networks. Here's their website:

http://www.yourtechoncall.com/

And a link to their intro page on the "Earth-PC":

http://www.yourtechoncall.com/earthpcintro.htm

nzimmers

system specs

Post by nzimmers » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 am

I was really interested in finding out the system specs for thier server, but they didn't have it listed

looking at thier parts/price sheet though.... they had Pentium D listed there, not exactly the "greenest" chip on my list

I should think a small system based on Athlon or Mobile intel/AMD flavor would perform quite well for them.

padmewan

Post by padmewan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 am

Oop, thanks for the link, drees. :oops:

What intrigues me about this business model is the fact that they get these subsidies from the power companies. I wonder how much difference the $5 or $10 makes to Tech Networks and to the power companies.

I do hope to see more companies like this.

drees

Post by drees » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:58 am

Hard to say how much the subsidies help, but they also say for each Earth-PC they sell they also donate $50 to an environmental cause, so I doubt that the subsidies do much except offset the amount they donate.

I'm also not very impressed by their specs, it looks like they could reduce power utilization by at least another 20-30% with even more careful choice of components.

The Dell desktops we've gotten here in the past couple years all seem to have inefficient PSUs without active PFC. At least the servers have active PFC, probably since most of them end up on UPS power and without PFC you lose a lot of battery capacity.

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:08 am

Earth-PC Basic: 54W on, 1W standby, 0W hibernation
(Equivalent Dell Dimension B110: 60W on, 3W standby, 1W hibernation)

Earth-PC Standard: 72W on, 1W standby, 0W hibernation
(Equivalent Dell Dimension E510: 106W on, 1W standby, 1W hibernation)

Earth-PC Super: 78W on, 1W standby, 0W hibernation
(Equivalent Dell Dimension XPS 410: information not available)

I think they could've done much better than that? As some of you know I've started a similar project (much less professional) and the basic system I've started with consumes 28 watts. That's based on a 3200+ Sempron which probably performs much less than a Celeron D. But still...

However, I'm glad to see that there are more initiatives developing! :D

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:32 am

the basic system I've started with consumes 28 watts. That's based on a 3200+ Sempron
28W is very impressive. A single 3.5" HDD can draw that upon spin-up! Can you list the specs (ie mobo, HDD, etc)? You're almost certainly using a 2.5" HDD?

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:01 pm

jaganath wrote:
the basic system I've started with consumes 28 watts. That's based on a 3200+ Sempron
28W is very impressive. A single 3.5" HDD can draw that upon spin-up! Can you list the specs (ie mobo, HDD, etc)? You're almost certainly using a 2.5" HDD?
I have some more info which I'll share soon. Here's my specs, but I think you know most of it. It's still in Dutch only but I hope to have an English version of the site soon.

I know a lot more about hardware and power consumption since I started researching 3 months ago, but could you tell me how a 3200+ Sempron and the Celeron D of the Basic Earth PC compare performance-wise? I find it real hard to compare Intel and AMD.

On-topic: I also wonder how much their NEC LCD monitor consumes. It does have built-in speakers, which I'm still looking for in a low power monitor. The speakers I selected for my system only consume 2 watts.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:38 pm

could you tell me how a 3200+ Sempron and the Celeron D of the Basic Earth PC compare performance-wise?
New Budget Processors Comparison: Intel Celeron D vs. AMD Sempron

I would say the 3200 Sempron is a little better than the Celeron D 330.

padmewan

Post by padmewan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:56 am

OK, let's get real here. Can someone compare the "Super" configuration from EarthPC with the equivalent of Cade PC's analogous offering and tell me how they stack up in terms of:

* Performance
* Price
* Total environmental footprint

(Sounds like an article in the making!)