Quiet Heatpipe P4 Cooling solution review on OC.com

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quokked

Quiet Heatpipe P4 Cooling solution review on OC.com

Post by quokked » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:40 pm

http://www.overclockers.com/articles650/ nice heatpipe cooler that performs okay and could be nice and easy to turn into a quiet cooling solution (it has all of its heatpipes on one side).... :)

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:16 am

do they really work? i mean are the pipes so efficient as to utilize the second heatsink efficiently? i'm waiting for my zm80... and will post its performance soon (temp diff. between two heatsinks.).

by the way, is there any site where i can buy zm80 from usa? i mean now. sharka has theirs backordered.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:24 am

Have these been mentioned before? Something similar has anyway... What i said then was that the point of heatpipes is to move the heat to somewhere else so you can use a larger heatsink. The heatsink they have there is smaller than others which dont use heatpipes...

Might be interesting to see a comparison with the others like Alpha and Swifty though. Maybe see if you can get one in for the S478 roundup i think your doing soon Mike?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:03 pm

point of heatpipes is to move the heat to somewhere else so you can use a larger heatsink.
Chief, that's exactly right. Also farther away from the source of the heat. This particular device does not look promising at all. We already know it ain't going to be very good; why bother with a review? I would much rather spend my time reviewing good or at least promising stuff.

In fact, every heatpipe CPU cooler I've seen on the retail market so far is nothing but a gimmick that actually might HURT the overall performance because of the multiple interface points -- between CPU/base, base/heatpipe, heatpipe/condenser. Most HS have only one -- CPU/base. Plus how far does the heat get moved? 2-3 inches?? :roll:

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:33 pm

Yeah i guess so... I jus thought that maybe the slightly better airflow properties of this HS might perform better than the normal HS setups. But i suppose with the low airflows we are dealing with it wouldnt make much difference...

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:55 pm

hopefully the zalman zm80 will work. yea i too wonder how can the pipe transfer the heat efficiently to make any difference in the overall performance of the heatsink. well... i ordered one already so if it arrives, i'll check out the temperature of both heatsinks and give you guys a heads up.

if the heatsink on the gpu side is hot while the other side is cold, it's not working at all, but if they're both warm to the touch, maybe that'll be a proof that it's not just a gimmick afterall.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:24 pm

Heat pipes certainly arent a gimmick, its just that this application of them is completely pointless, giving no benefit what so ever - hence making it a gimmick. In the case of the zm80 tho, the heatpipe is used to move the heat to the top of the card so convection cooling can work more efficiently. Im sure your zm80 will work fine as long as your card is within the spec for the HS.

quokked

Post by quokked » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:53 pm

I think u guys are talking about the taisol P4 Solution... I prefer this heatpipe implemenation better case all the pipes are on one side so it'd be easier to mod so that the fins would be right in front of a exhaust vent of the case... So far this cooler and the Zalman ZM80-HP are the two best implementions of mass market Heatpipe cooling I've seen to date...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:34 pm

The shuttle heatpipe HS is not really a mass market solution: it is custom designed specially for the shuttle SFF. You won't see it for sale by itself at any retailer any time soon. This is the gist of it: heatpipes are stiff & rigid and have to be. That means you can't really make a generic one to fit all cases / mobos, it has to be customized, no way around it.