Please don't quote Image (picture) links.....

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Please don't quote Image (picture) links.....

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:23 am

I'm on a modem connection.....no other choice. When you quote a post completely, I have to open up the same picture two times. Pisses me off....completely useless.

Take the time to remove a image link from a quote. Not too difficult...... :(
Last edited by Bluefront on Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:22 am

Modem............ as in "dial-up modem" Ouch :shock:

Please tell me its 56K, because if your still running 14.4 you must be going out of your mind, how can you survive without BroadBand, and why is it not available in your area.

Andy

PS: I have never attached a picture, link yes but attach/embedded never.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:48 am

I usually connect at 45Kbps......I cannot get DSL because of the distance from the relay station(whatever they call it). And I don't have a cable connection either. No way I'm paying for a dish connection.

I post pictures......but they are around 50k max, and download quickly enough even with dial-up. It's multiple big pictures that slow things to a crawl... :x

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:49 am

Hello Carl,

You have a very good point -- I'll try to edit the threads that "quote" pictures, but if I miss some, please post links here. Thanks.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:54 am

Bluefront wrote:I post pictures......but they are around 50k max, and download quickly enough even with dial-up. It's multiple big pictures that slow things to a crawl... :x
It helps to use thumbnails. That way you only have to load the full pic once, or maybe twice if you want to review something. I always use thumbnails these days. :wink:

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:57 am

Bluefront, you might be interested in the "show cached images only" (preferences->web pages) feature of Opera. I always switch this on when on narrow band.
Otherwise you're right. What about viewtopic.php?p=317217#317217 ? It's directly from the MSI website with 85 KiB. Should I convert it to a thumbnail via imageshack?

kater

Re: Please don't quote Image (picture) links.....

Post by kater » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:15 am

i'm with you bluefront - had to dedust my old trusty dial-up modem until the telecom company connects broadband to my new place - in a month or so (promises...). personally, i've never posted a pic here as i simply don't know how to do that - best i can do is post links.

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:09 am

Bluefront wrote:I'm on a modem connection.....no other choice. When you quote a post completely, I have to open up the same picture two times.
I believe your browser should open the image from cache the second time. Even if the original and the quoted version are on two different pages of thread. Increase your cache size if necessary.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:05 am

kater wrote:personally, i've never posted a pic here as i simply don't know how to do that -
:Blue coloured hyperlink to the section in the Forum FAQ's that provides the answer:

:D

Pete

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:13 am

Arrrg......now more big pictures. :evil:

Actually I don't like those thumb-nails in a post. Most of the time they're too small to see anything, forcing me to separately open each picture, if I'm interested at all.

I use Photoshop on each picture, and reduce the size to under 50k on every photo no matter if they'll be used in a post or not. Remember I also have to upload to the Photobucket hosting site, so a big upload is to be avoided. I don't expect anyone to actually print any of my pictures, and a 50k photo, looks just fine on a monitor.....IMHO.

One photo is worth a thousand words......true. Photos in a post bridge the language problem, and can make a post valuable, even if the words are difficult to understand.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:24 am

ISDN not an option, BF? It's a long time since I looked into ISDN, so I might be talking complete rollocks, but I think you don't have to use two lines, you can use just one - but two lines would be that much quicker still. And the 64k, in real world speeds, runs about twice as quick as 56k. I'm talking about in the UK, if that makes any odds.

Edit: Just checked and in the USA, the 128k version runs 3 times faster than 56k, so I guess one line 64k would be 50% faster.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:35 am

That's an option I haven't considered. But no way I'm paying for another phone line. The slight speed increase using that option on a single phone line is not a big incentive however.

The phone company keeps promising DSL access "very soon". They've been saying that for over two years.....

My sister who lives five miles from here....has DSL. For big downloads I have to go over to her house. Works fairly well for me.

eitheta
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by eitheta » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:15 pm

Bluefront wrote: I'm on a modem connection.....no other choice.
I've always appreciated your detailed reports on various builds / experiments. All the more, now I realize what you suffer to post them.
Bluefront wrote: The phone company keeps promising DSL access "very soon". They've been saying that for over two years.....
Same thing my phone company says. I found a local company offering wireless. About $10-15/mo more than DSL would be. I've used them for going on 5 years. Google for "wireless broadband" OR "wireless isp" AND "YourCityNameHere", and see what comes up. I get 1.5Mb/s (limit set by my WISP). I have a 802.11b xceiver and a 10-inch square antenna on my roof, with line-of-sight to their access point atop a hospital one km away. A ruggedized cat5 cable carries 10-BASE-T up/down, and power up, from/to my home router in my hall closet. The technology is pretty reliable, at least for distances of a couple or three miles, and if you have half decent line-of-sight. These companies (mine is no exception) tend to be small local ops. So overall reliability depends on the technical & managerial skills of the people. My connection goes wonky occasionally (once or twice a year), and it's usually because they upgraded something, and didn't plan for or think through all the consequences. I'd probably switch to DSL when/if Qwest ever fixes/upgrades the last-mile wiring to make that possible. But I'm very happy to have the WISP until then. Also, since it's unrelated to phone lines, a WISP user could ditch their local phone company entirely, and use VOIP etc over WISP. In theory.
Your mileage may vary, of course.